Hospital area plan
The City of Kelowna and Interior Health (IH) are working closely together on a Hospital Area Plan to guide future redevelopment and address parking and transportation needs. Kelowna General Hospital (KGH) has undergone significant expansion over the past few years, presenting various challenges that affect livability in the neighbourhood. This is a combined land use, transportation and parking strategy with the goal of creating a vibrant Health District that supports hospital-related services while maintaining the integrity of established neighbourhoods.
Phase 1 of the project looked at land use issues between KGH and the residential neighbourhoods on the west side of Pandosy Street. The outcome was a new health services transitional area. We are now in Phase 2, which started by focusing on on-street parking in the hospital area. This phase is also considering long-term land use and transportation needs to direct growth and redevelopment in the area east of KGH.
The public was invited to review the on-street parking recommendations and discuss future land use needs with staff and consultants on November 3, 2016.
Access the boards from the information session below or under the documents tab:
Review the boards from the previous open house held in May 2016:
- Study Area and Background
- Current Parking Restrictions (Map)
- Daytime Parking Occupancy Counts (Map)
- Parking Management Guiding Principles
- Kelowna General Hospital Transit
- Next Steps
Individual parking area plans allow the City to respond to specific parking-related concerns and align them with the city-wide parking management strategy .
Public input was gathered in the spring about the on-street parking challenges and opportunities in the area. Parking occupancy counts were also completed on several dates and times. Based on these inputs, the following on-street parking recommendations were made to meet the changing needs of the area. Council endorsed the Hospital Area On-Street Parking Plan on December 5, 2016.
- Improve turn over and increase the availability of short term parking near KGH and the Emergency Department
- Allow patient/visitor parking for longer than two hours
- Increase opportunities for street cleaning and maintenance
- Improve turnover and increase the availability of short term parking near KGH during daytime hours
- Provide unrestricted evening and overnight parking opportunities in an area that does not affect nearby residences
- Recognize this block is often near empty as it is used very little by residents with permits and a significant portion of the block is an Interior Health off-street parking lot
- Provide additional short term parking options near KGH and the Emergency Department while maintaining a priority for parking by resident permit holders
- Ensure area residents with permits have access to parking in close proximity to their residence in the evening hours
- Reduce the impact of 24/7 operations of KGH on the surrounding residential area
- Encourage use of off-street parking at KGH in the evening and overnight periods
- Recognize this block is often near capacity, mostly with non-permit vehicles
- Reduce damage being caused to adjacent properties due to heavy parking traffic on non-urbanized boulevards
- Create additional opportunities for resident parking with removal of Resident Permit Only Parking on Royal Avenue east of Long Street
- Recognize this unrestricted area often experiences high occupancy levels
- Focus on customer service and fairness in parking practices
- Ensure compliance with new and existing restrictions