Honour in the Arts Award
2021 Honour in the Arts Award Recipient
As the founder and President of the Okanagan Indigenous Music and Arts Society, the first of its kind in British Columbia, Jennifer Money’s commitment to supporting Indigenous artistic talent is inspiring. She has focused her efforts on creating safe spaces for learning and sharing amongst all cultures. Jennifer’s long list of contributions in 2021 include leading a Mural and Beautification Contest supporting Kelowna Gospel Mission. She also authored, published and performed a poem in support of the Honouring Our 215 Children Indigenous Peoples Day event.
Jennifer has had a busy year organizing many workshops and events such as Stories with sncewips Heritage Museum (a weekly capitkwl [syilx oral histories] accessible virtual storytelling event), a Women’s Warrior Drumming Circle observing Canada’s first National Day for Truth and Reconciliation, and organizing Tule Weaving, a traditional textile workshop focusing on sustainable harvesting.
Jennifer is a passionate advocate for Indigenous people and culture and lends her many talents and determination to bringing a desire for greater understanding and involvement among local First Nations and non-Indigenous community members.
- Awarded to an individual who has made an outstanding contribution to Kelowna through cultural and/or artistic efforts.
- Selections are based on the nominee's special accomplishments, contributions and awards for the year 2022.
- Past information may be included, but should primarily be regarding the current award year.
- Finalist selections are based solely on the information in the completed nomination package.
Nominations for the 48th annual Civic & Community Awards are open, submit online now.
Nomination period closes February 10, 2023.
Award supported by:
- 2020 - Karma Lacoff Nieoczym
- 2019 - Erin Scott
- 2018 - Ryan Grenier
- 2017 - Simone Orlando
- 2016 - Karen Close
- 2015 - Rosemary Thomson
- 2014 - Jennifer Schell
- 2013 - Glenna Turnbull
- 2012 - Anna Jacyszyn
- 2011 - Nathan Flavel
- 2010 - Quinn Best
- 2009 - Randy Leslie
- 2008 - George Cwiklewski
- 2007 - Wendy McCracken
- 2006 - Gayle Liman
- 2005 - Neal Facey
- 2004 - Hugh Parsons
- 2003 - Roslyn Frantz
- 2002 - Rod Charlesworth
- 2001 - Dr. Jayne Brooks
- 2000 - Alice Hargreaves
- 1999 - Marina and Harold Pettman
- 1998 - Gayle Stevenson
- 1997 - Fran Gebhard
- 1996 – Michael Griffin & Denise Nahirney
- 1995 – Deborah Helf
- 1994 – Ella Hapi
- 1993 – Colleen Kelly and Marnie Sullivan
- 1992 – Val Bardot
- 1991 – John Deschner
- 1990 – Maev Brennan
- 1989 – Wendy & Warren Sparks
- 1988 – Penny Venables
- 1987 – Doug & Barb Leadbetter
- 1986 – Pear Slater
- 1985 – Lynne Atkinson
- 1984 – Stuart Gordon
- 1982 – Mary McIntosh and Kay Smith
- 1981 – Arthur Lo and Linda Tait
- 1980 – Leslie Hopton and Linda Zimmerman
- 1979 – Bill Bennett and Jan Woinoski
- 1978 – Marjorie Denroche and Lloyd Hooper
- 1977 – Mary Bull
- 1976 – J. Garfield McKinley and Margot MacLaughlin