Bryan Couling Memorial Athletic Team of the Year Award
2022 Bryan Couling Memorial Athletic Team of the Year Recipient
Okanagan Sun Football Team
In 2022, the Okanagan Sun Football Team was unstoppable. Ranked number 1 all season and the first team in Canadian Junior Football League history to go 14-0, the Okanagan Suns picked up their 16th BCFC Championship and third Canadian Bowl Championship. With 29 of this year’s players calling Kelowna home, the Okanagan Suns have brought pride and national recognition to our city. The team also helped raise over $32,000 for the B.C. Burn Fund, helped run the U-18 Canada Football Cup and supported multiple community groups throughout the year.
About the Bryan Couling Memorial Athletic Team of the Year Award
Bryan Couling, sports director for CKIQ radio during the late 1970's and 1980's, became known as the "Voice for Sports" in Kelowna. After suffering a debilitating stroke in 1986, Bryan continued to volunteer and keep up with local sports. Bryan, a sportsman's sportsman, always recognized the effort of the athlete, along with the coaches, parents and managers.
Bryan passed away in April of 1997.
- Awarded to the Kelowna based team (amateur or professional) who brought the greatest amount of recognition to Kelowna.
- Past information (awards and achievements) may be included, but should primarily be regarding the current award year.
- Finalist selections are based solely on the information in the completed nomination package.
Check back in fall 2023 for information about the 49th annual awards nomination period.
- 2021 - KSS Owls Boys Volleyball Team
- 2019 - KSS Owls AAAA Girls Volleyball Team
- 2018 - Kelowna Ringette U16A Elite
- 2017 - Kelowna Secondary School Owls Boys Curling Team
- 2016 - KSS Owls Senior AAAA Boys Basketball Team
- 2015 - The Kelowna Rockets 2014/2015 Hockey Club
- 2014 - Okanagan Rockets, Major Midget Hockey Club
- 2013 - Kelowna Christian School Senior Boys Basketball Team
- 2012 - Okanagan Mission Secondary School Senior Boys Soccer Team
- 2011 - Kelowna Senior Secondary School 4A Girls Volleyball Team
- 2010 - UBC Okanagan Heat Women's Volleyball Team
- 2009 - UBC Okanagan Heat Women's Volleyball Team
- 2008 - UBC Okanagan Men' Volleyball Team
- 2007 - Team Scott, Team Canada Women’s Curling (Kelly Scott, Jeanna Schraeder, Sasha Carter, Renee Simmons, Michelle Allen and Gerry Richard)
- 2006 - Team Scott, Team Canada Women’s Curling (Kelly Scott, Jeanna Schraeder, Sasha Carter, Renee Simmons, Michelle Allen and Gerry Richard)
- 2005 - Kelowna U14 Boys Soccer Team
- 2004 - Kelowna Rockets Hockey Club
- 2003 - Kelowna Rockets Hockey Club
- 2002 - Kelowna Stingers U16 Soccer Team
- 2001 - KSS Owls Girls Field Hockey Team
- 2000 - Okanagan Sun Football Team
- 1999 - Kelowna Grizzlies Special Olympic Softball Team
- 1998 - Okanagan Challenge Soccer Club
- 1997 - Kelowna Warriors Midget Hockey Team
- 1996 - Okanagan Sun Football Team
- 1995 - K.L.O. Cougars Boys Volleyball Team
- 1994 - Rick Folk Curling Rink
- 1993 - Kelowna Spartans Hockey Team
- 1992 - Westbank Karate Club
- 1991 - Okanagan Sun Football Team
- 1990 - K.L.O. Cougars Girls Field Hockey Team
- 1989 - KSS Owls Basketball Team
- 1988 - Canadian Junior Women's Curling Team / Okanagan Sun Football Team
- 1987 - Canadian Junior Women's Curling Team
- 1986 - Ron Smith Sharpies Fastball Team