Champion for the Environment Award
2020 Champion of the Environment Recipient
Columbia Bottle Depots
Columbia Bottle Depots is making change one recycled item at a time. After most bottle depots closed during COVID-19 shutdowns, they managed to stay open to provide full-time work to 50 employees, provide residents with a location for increased recycling needs and help donate funds to some of Kelowna’s most vulnerable. They also provided sorting and processing services at the automated “Express and Go” Station at Big White, helping to raise over $50,000 for local non-profits.
- Awarded to an individual or business whose actions and achievements have shown outstanding environmental leadership or innovative environmental contributions, having a direct benefit on the city of Kelowna.
- Selections are based on environmental contributions for the year 2021.
- Past information and history of environmental contributions may be included, but should primarily be regarding the current award year.
- Selections are based solely on the information in the completed nomination package.
Nominations for the 47th annual Civic & Community Awards will open in fall 2021.
- 2019 - Operation Take Two
- 2018 - Gwen Steele
- 2017 - Angela Nagy (Individual)
- 2017 - One Big Table (Business)
- 2016 - Nancy Mora Castro (Individual)
- 2016 - Spider Agile Technology (Business)
- 2015 - Hugh Westheuser (Individual)
- 2015 - Unless Market (Business)
- 2014 - Casey Hamilton (Individual)
- 2014 - 1-800-GOT-JUNK (Business)
- 2013 - Judie Steeves (Individual)
- 2013 - House of Rose Winery (Business)
- 2012 - Michael Ross (Individual)
- 2012 - Best Western Plus Kelowna Hotel & Suites (Business)