Female Athlete of the Year Award
- Awarded to the female athlete (amateur or professional) who brought the greatest amount of recognition to Kelowna.
- Include Provincial, National and World Ranking if applicable.
- Selections are based on the nominee's achievements for the year 2020 or 2021*
- Past information (awards and achievements) may be included, but should be primarily regarding the current award year.
- Finalist selections are based solely on the information in the completed nomination package.
Nominations for the 48th annual Civic & Community Awards will open in fall 2022.
2020-21 Female Athlete of the Year Award Recipient
Malindi Elmore is a Kelowna born marathon runner who most recently finished in ninth place at the women’s marathon at the 2020 Olympics. Since January 2020, she has held the Canadian marathon record: an outstanding accomplishment since finishing her first marathon only a year earlier. Not only is Malindi a Canadian champion in the 10,000 meter, she’s a five-time All American at Stanford University and holds multiple school records in the 800m and 1500m. As well as track and long-distance running, Malindi spent 2015 – 2017 competing in professional triathlons completing a sub nine-hour performance.
Malindi is dedicated to the sport and helps runners achieve their goals through working as a coach at UBC Okanagan as well as through private coaching.
- 2019 - Madelyn Hettinga
- 2018 - Kelsey Serwa
- 2017 - Taryn O’Neill
- 2016 - Taylor Ruck
- 2015 - Kierra Smith
- 2014 - Kelsey Serwa
- 2013 - Keely Watts-Watling
- 2012 - Jen Woods
- 2011 - Kelsey Serwa
- 2010 - Kelsey Serwa
- 2009 - Samantha Richdale
- 2008 - Heather Mandoli
- 2007 - Sarah Charles
- 2006 - Robyn Buna
- 2005 - Jessie Denys
- 2003 - Sarah Charles
Award sponsored by: