With more services and interactions happening online, including those between the City and residents, we aim to make the experiences as user-friendly as possible (we know we have work to do), as well as share resources that will help increase users' understanding and comfort with these tools and new technologies.
Digital terms glossary
There are a lot of terms and jargon used to describe technology and the digital landscape. Check out our digital terms glossary to get more familiar with some common tech words (including some that we use).
Okanagan Regional Library resources
The Library is a great resource for learning no matter the topic. We've highlighted some resources and programs below that might help in the development of digital skills.
Kelowna, Mission & Rutland branches
- Computer and internet access
- All ORL branches offer free Internet access on designated library computers. Free Wi-Fi access is available to customers who provide their own equipment.
- LinkedIn Learning for Libraries (formerly Lynda.com) is your source for online learning. ORL members have access to thousands of video tutorials covering topics such as business, project management, popular software, and much more. Courses are taught by industry experts. Learn something new today!
- Online Resource Tutorials (from Niche Academy): Learn how to use your library's online resources. Watch tutorials about how to enjoy digital books, magazines, movies, and how to use our genealogical databases, journal collections and encyclopedias for research.
- Social Media & Technology Basics (from Niche Academy and ORL): Learn how to use Facebook, Gmail, Goodreads, Instagram, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Snapchat, and Twitter, and get some tips for using your iPad.
- At ORL Makerspaces, you will find equipment and tools for hands-on projects, digital media creation, and exploring and learning new technology. We offer an open workspace and knowledgeable library staff to support your projects.
- Tech help
- Library staff are available to help with your devices and technology questions, please call the help line 1-844-649-8127 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The library often hosts programs to help you learn or improve digital skills. For upcoming programs, visit their events calendar.
Fall/winter 2021 adult program highlights:
Virtual Mobile Meetups Apple (iPhones & iPads): A set of three sessions in November, designed to help participants learn how to navigate their Tablets and/or Smart Phones.
Virtual Mobile Meetups Android (phones and tablets): A set of three sessions in November, designed to help participants learn how to navigate their Tablets and/or Smart Phones.
Cybersecurity Awareness Training: October is Cyber Security Awareness Month. October will feature a series of programs aimed to inform and instruct on how to keep your online presence safe and secure. Topics will cover password security, multi-factor authentication, scam awareness, and more. Watch for more details to be announced.
Tech Help (E-reader, Tablet & Catalog): Looking to make the switch from physical books to e-books? Want to learn to download your audiobooks to listen to in the car? Trying to get some help learning how to navigate Libby or the library website better? We can help you with that! Register for sessions on: Oct. 8, Nov. 5, Nov. 19, Dec. 3 or Dec. 17.
Other free online resources
- Get Cyber Safe from the Government of Canada: Get Cyber Safe is a national public awareness campaign created to inform Canadians about cyber security and the simple steps they can take to protect themselves online.
- ElderNet Computer Mentoring offered by Seniors Outreach & Resource Centre: Seniors Outreach is a non-profit society, working to enhance the lives of seniors in Kelowna.
- Cyber security 101 offered by SERENE-RISC: The Smart Cybersecurity Network (SERENE-RISC) is a knowledge mobilization network created to empower Canadians to protect themselves from online threats and to reduce those risks through the distribution of knowledge. It is recommended to start with internet concepts and security concepts.