Parking Management Strategy
Parking rules, regulations and rates changed as part of a city-wide Parking Management Strategy, endorsed by Council in January 2014 to make sure our parking system:
- Improves availability of short-term parking spaces
- Continues to pay for itself so that general taxation is not impacted
- Offers customer service options for better customer interaction
- Provides a balanced transportation network for residents
In April 2015, Council approved an interim parking strategy for the management of parking during the increased development and parkade construction period. The parking strategy evolved from a series of guiding priniciples.
In November 2015, Council approved base parking rate, fine and fee adjustments, consistent with the City-Wide Parking Management Strategy.
Next steps – area plans
The next step is development of individual area parking plans:
- South Pandosy Area Plan was completed in 2014
- The short-term on-street portion of the Hospital Area Plan has been approved by Council and is pending implementation.
- Other areas of the City will follow, as required, pending budget approval
Area plans will allow the City to respond to a number of issues and concerns related to parking including:
- Changes to parking supply
- Growing demand for short and long term parking
- Impacts of increased development and activity on neighbouring residential areas