Central Okanagan Foundation Volunteer Organization of the Year Award
2021 Central Okanagan Foundation's Volunteer Organization of the Year Recipient
Canadian Mental Health Association Kelowna
CMHA Kelowna believes that everyone should be offered the help and support they need to feel good about themselves and their lives. It’s no secret that after two years of pandemic and isolation more people in our community are struggling to maintain their mental health. In 2021 CMHA stepped up, finding new, innovative ways to serve the community and support those facing challenges with maintaining strong mental health.
In 2021, CMHA Kelowna opened a first-of-its-kind Youth Housing Initiative called Bright Mindz, offering 18 micro-suites for youth and young adults. CMHA also produced 21 episodes of a mental health podcast this past year ‘What Really Works?’ geared toward honest conversations without medical jargon. Also in 2021, CMHA saw the launch of free, virtual courses through CMHA’s Kelowna Discovery College for anyone wanting to manage life’s challenges better.
- Awarded to a volunteer organization that has provided outstanding community services, with direct benefits to the city of Kelowna.
- Services may be related to the environment, health and social services; arts and culture; recreation; education; or neighbourhood/community improvements.
- Selections are based on the organizations achievements and contributions for the year 2021.
- Past information may be included, but should primarily be regarding the current award year.
The recipient of this award will receive a $3000 donation from Central Okanagan Foundation.
Nominations for the 48th annual Civic & Community Awards will open Dec. 5, 2022.
- 2020 - Central Okanagan Region Nutrition Society - Meals on Wheels
- 2019 - Project Literacy Central Okanagan Society
- 2018 - Helping Out People Exploited (HOPE) Outreach
- 2017 - Central Okanagan Search & Rescue
- 2016 - Kelowna Gospel Mission
- 2015 - Hands in Service
- 2014 - United Way of the Central & South Okanagan Similkameen
- 2013 - Freedom's Door
- 2012 - Karis Support Society
- 2011 - NOW Canada Society
- 2010 - Canadian Mental Health Association
- 2009 - Rotary Clubs of Kelowna
- 2008 - Kelowna Salvation Army
- 2007 - Central Okanagan Hospice Association
- 2006 - Rotary Club of Kelowna
- 2005 - Central Okanagan Bursary & Scholarship Society
- 2004 - C.O.R.N.S./Meals on Wheels
- 2003 - Emergency Social Services
- 2002 - Sunshine Dream for Kids
- 2001 - Kelowna Community Resources Crisis Line
- 2000 - Kelowna General Hospital Volunteers
- 1999 - Kelowna Hostesses
Award sponsored by: