Teen Honour in the Arts Awards
- Awarded to a youth who has made an outstanding contribution to Kelowna through cultural and/or artistic efforts.
- Must be between the ages of 13 and 19 as of Dec. 31, 2019.
- Selections are based on the nominee's special accomplishments, contributions and awards for the year 2019.
- Past information may be included, but should primarily be regarding the current award year.
- Finalist selections are based solely on the information in the completed nomination package.
The recipient of this award will receive a $500 entrance scholarship to UBC Okanagan.
2019 Teen Honour in the Arts Award Recipient
As principal trumpet for the Okanagan Youth Symphony Orchestra, Sarah is a highly coveted mentor to the middle school students she teaches voluntarily. She is lead trumpet with the Kelowna Secondary School Grade 12 Jazz Band and performs frequently in the jazz combo Countdown.
Sarah played solo bugle at the cenotaph in Rutland’s Remembrance Day ceremonies and earned the Royal Conservatory’s gold medal for the highest mark in BC and the Yukon, and was invited to perform at the Ceremony of Excellence.
She auditioned and was selected for the Dennis Wick All Canadian Wind Orchestra in Ottawa, the BC Music Educators Honours Jazz Band, the Sacramento Tea Garden Jazz Camp and the Sitka Jazz Camp in Alaska. She was also selected to perform at the Rocky Mountain National Canadian Music Festival and the Pentastic Hot Jazz Festival.
Sarah also sings as a member of the award winning Kelowna Secondary School chorus.
- 2018 - Annette Bakala
- 2017 - Madelyn Miyashita
- 2016 - Andrew Kates
- 2015 - Lauren Maier
- 2014 - Antony Knight
- 2013 - Mandy Jong
- 2012 - Quinn Bates
- 2011 - Hayley Manlove
- 2010 - Grace Kim
- 2009 - Haley Blais
- 2008 - Evan Kascak
- 2007 - Chad Abrahamson
- 2006 - Melissa Wilmot
- 2005 - Carmen Harris
- 2004 - Joshua Ferguson
- 2003 - Devin Roth
- 2002 - Mitchell Howanyk
- 2001 - Greg Sawisky
- 2000 - Meaghan McRae
Award sponsored by: