Central Okanagan Foundation Volunteer Organization of the Year Award
- Awarded to a volunteer organization that has provided outstanding community services, with direct benefits to the city of Kelowna.
- Services may be related to the environment, health and social services; arts and culture; recreation; education; or neighbourhood/community improvements.
- Selections are based on the organizations achievements and contributions for the year 2017.
- Past information may be included, but should primarily be regarding the current award year.
2016 Central Okanagan Foundation, Volunteer Organization of the Year Recipient
Kelowna Gospel Mission
While our homeless population tends to find themselves excluded and unwanted at most places in the City, at Kelowna Gospel Mission they are welcomed through the doors with a warm smile and a cup of coffee. In 2016, nearly 315,000 cups of coffee – and countless more smiles – were given out to warm the guests who arrived at the Gospel Mission.
Over 42,000 volunteer hours were logged as the Mission served up more than 170,000 meals and filled their 100 bed facility to capacity almost every night, totaling almost 35,000 beds offered over the course of the year. Care also included access to showers, laundry, clothing, haircuts and addiction recovery as well as connecting their guests to social services and housing.
In 2016 they assessed 380 new clients, housed 250 men and women and provided more than 2000 free dental visits. They also constructed a transitional storage shed, providing a safe place for their guests to park their shopping carts.
Whether it’s to lend an ear, give a hug or just offer the simple warmth of a cup of coffee, the Kelowna Gospel Mission offers the less fortunate a place to call home.
- 2015 - Hands in Service
- 2014 - United Way of the Central & South Okanagan Similkameen
- 2013 - Freedom's Door
- 2012 - Karis Support Society
- 2011 - NOW Canada Society
- 2010 - Canadian Mental Health Association
- 2009 - Rotary Clubs of Kelowna
- 2008 - Kelowna Salvation Army
- 2007 - Central Okanagan Hospice Association
- 2006 - Rotary Club of Kelowna
- 2005 - Central Okanagan Bursary & Scholarship Society
- 2004 - C.O.R.N.S./Meals on Wheels
- 2003 - Emergency Social Services
- 2002 - Sunshine Dream for Kids
- 2001 - Kelowna Community Resources Crisis Line
- 2000 - Kelowna General Hospital Volunteers
- 1999 - Kelowna Hostesses
Award sponsored by: