Central Okanagan Foundation Volunteer Organization of the Year Award
- Awarded to a volunteer organization that has provided outstanding community services, with direct benefits to the city of Kelowna.
- Services may be related to the environment, health and social services; arts and culture; recreation; education; or neighbourhood/community improvements.
- Selections are based on the organizations achievements and contributions for the year 2019.
- Past information may be included, but should primarily be regarding the current award year.
2019 Central Okanagan Foundation, Volunteer Organization of the Year Recipient
Project Literacy Central Okanagan Society
As the only non-profit literacy organization in Kelowna, Project Literacy’s 210 volunteers donated nearly 22,000 hours this past year, helping more than 50 children and 200 adults with one-on-one tutoring. From reading to financial literacy, mathematics to digital support, volunteers were there to help.
Working in partnership with KCR Community Resources to run the Immigrant Parents As Literacy Supports program, they assisted those whose first language is not English to gain resources, support and tutoring.
In 2019, Project Literacy partnered in the development of a community based research project examining the impact of screen-time on over 450 families with young children. They also and took over the organization of Unplug and Play Week to provide families with free creative, educational and interactive activities – an event attracted over 900 people.
- 2018 - Helping Out People Exploited (HOPE) Outreach
- 2017 - Central Okanagan Search & Rescue
- 2016 - Kelowna Gospel Mission
- 2015 - Hands in Service
- 2014 - United Way of the Central & South Okanagan Similkameen
- 2013 - Freedom's Door
- 2012 - Karis Support Society
- 2011 - NOW Canada Society
- 2010 - Canadian Mental Health Association
- 2009 - Rotary Clubs of Kelowna
- 2008 - Kelowna Salvation Army
- 2007 - Central Okanagan Hospice Association
- 2006 - Rotary Club of Kelowna
- 2005 - Central Okanagan Bursary & Scholarship Society
- 2004 - C.O.R.N.S./Meals on Wheels
- 2003 - Emergency Social Services
- 2002 - Sunshine Dream for Kids
- 2001 - Kelowna Community Resources Crisis Line
- 2000 - Kelowna General Hospital Volunteers
- 1999 - Kelowna Hostesses
Award sponsored by: