Bryan Couling Memorial Athletic Team of the Year Award
Bryan Couling, sports director for CKIQ radio during the late 1970's and 1980's, became known as the "Voice for Sports" in Kelowna. After suffering a debilitating stroke in 1986, Bryan continued to volunteer and keep up with local sports. Bryan, a sportsman's sportsman, always recognized the effort of the athlete, along with the coaches, parents and managers.
Bryan passed away in April of 1997.
Nominations are open until February 12th, 2021.
*Due to shortened sports seasons nominations from 2020 and 2021 will be combined and one winner will be chosen in 2021.
- Awarded to the Kelowna based team (amateur or professional) who brought the greatest amount of recognition to Kelowna.
- Selections are based on the nominated team's achievements/contributions for the year 2020.
- Past information (awards and achievements) may be included, but should primarily be regarding the current award year.
- Finalist selections are based solely on the information in the completed nomination package.
2019 Bryan Couling Athletic Team of the Year Award Recipient
KSS Owls AAAA Girls Volleyball Team
In 2018, this team of young women with their new coach, Kelly Hettinga, began the season ranked near the bottom of the top 10 teams in the province. And that wasn’t enough. They wanted to be number one.
Through hours spent in the gym during off season and training hard year-round, the results were winning both the City and Valley championships that year and better still, winning provincials.
With a drive to keep getting better, they continued training hard and in 2019, went the entire season undefeated. They won their 15th consecutive City and Valley Championships and second Provincial title in a row. One of their players, Madelyn Hettinga, was named tournament MVP. They also won the UBC Thunderbird Classic, KSS Best of the West and UBCO Invitational tournaments. They are now ranked the number one program in BC.
- 2018 - Kelowna Ringette U16A Elite
- 2017 - Kelowna Secondary School Owls Boys Curling Team
- 2016 - KSS Owls Senior AAAA Boys Basketball Team
- 2015 - The Kelowna Rockets 2014/2015 Hockey Club
- 2014 - Okanagan Rockets, Major Midget Hockey Club
- 2013 - Kelowna Christian School Senior Boys Basketball Team
- 2012 - Okanagan Mission Secondary School Senior Boys Soccer Team
- 2011 - Kelowna Senior Secondary School 4A Girls Volleyball Team
- 2010 - UBC Okanagan Heat Women's Volleyball Team
- 2009 - UBC Okanagan Heat Women's Volleyball Team
- 2008 - UBC Okanagan Men' Volleyball Team
- 2007 - Team Scott, Team Canada Women’s Curling (Kelly Scott, Jeanna Schraeder, Sasha Carter, Renee Simmons, Michelle Allen and Gerry Richard)
- 2006 - Team Scott, Team Canada Women’s Curling (Kelly Scott, Jeanna Schraeder, Sasha Carter, Renee Simmons, Michelle Allen and Gerry Richard)
- 2005 - Kelowna U14 Boys Soccer Team
- 2004 - Kelowna Rockets Hockey Club
- 2003 - Kelowna Rockets Hockey Club
- 2002 - Kelowna Stingers U16 Soccer Team
- 2001 - KSS Owls Girls Field Hockey Team
- 2000 - Okanagan Sun Football Team
- 1999 - Kelowna Grizzlies Special Olympic Softball Team