Bryan Couling Memorial Athletic Team of the Year Award
Bryan Couling, sports director for CKIQ radio during the late 1970's and 1980's, became known as the "Voice for Sports" in Kelowna. After suffering a debilitating stroke in 1986, Bryan continued to volunteer and keep up with local sports. Bryan, a sportsman's sportsman, always recognized the effort of the athlete, along with the coaches, parents and managers.
Bryan passed away in April of 1997.
- Awarded to the Kelowna based team (amateur or professional) who brought the greatest amount of recognition to Kelowna.
- Selections are based on the nominated team's achievements/contributions for the year 2017.
- Past information (awards and achievements) may be included, but should primarily be regarding the current award year.
- Finalist selections are based solely on the information in the completed nomination package.
2017 Bryan Couling Athletic Team of the Year Award Recipient
Kelowna Secondary School Owls Boys Curling Team
When four teenage boys dream up an idea, it could be easy to just sweep it under the rug and forget it. Instead, these young men were determined to "sweep" it into action instead and three years ago, formed the first curling team Kelowna Secondary has had in over two decades.
Skip Logan Miron along with Ewan Murray, Ramsay Murray and Bryan Cresswell set out to find a coach and teacher sponsor during their grade 10 year and by the end of that first season, won the regionals and placed fifth at provincials. During their grade 11, they won regionals for the second time in a row and managed a sixth place finish at provincials.
After going undefeated for the entire 2017 grade 12 season, the team made the grueling two day drive up to Smithers for provincials and lost their first match in an extra end. But all their training paid off, they managed to refocus, and they won every other match including the finals, earning the Provincial Trophy for KSS for the first time since 1989.
Sponsored by Grant Thornton
- 2016 - KSS Owls Senior AAAA Boys Basketball Team
- 2015 - The Kelowna Rockets 2014/2015 Hockey Club
- 2014 - Okanagan Rockets, Major Midget Hockey Club
- 2013 - Kelowna Christian School Senior Boys Basketball Team
- 2012 - Okanagan Mission Secondary School Senior Boys Soccer Team
- 2011 - Kelowna Senior Secondary School 4A Girls Volleyball Team
- 2010 - UBC Okanagan Heat Women's Volleyball Team
- 2009 - UBC Okanagan Heat Women's Volleyball Team
- 2008 - UBC Okanagan Men' Volleyball Team
- 2007 - Team Scott, Team Canada Women’s Curling (Kelly Scott, Jeanna Schraeder, Sasha Carter, Renee Simmons, Michelle Allen and Gerry Richard)
- 2006 - Team Scott, Team Canada Women’s Curling (Kelly Scott, Jeanna Schraeder, Sasha Carter, Renee Simmons, Michelle Allen and Gerry Richard)
- 2005 - Kelowna U14 Boys Soccer Team
- 2004 - Kelowna Rockets Hockey Club
- 2003 - Kelowna Rockets Hockey Club
- 2002 - Kelowna Stingers U16 Soccer Team
- 2001 - KSS Owls Girls Field Hockey Team
- 2000 - Okanagan Sun Football Team
- 1999 - Kelowna Grizzlies Special Olympic Softball Team