Bob Giordano Memorial Award - Coach of the Year
The name Bob Giordano was synonymous with hockey in the Central Okanagan in the 1950's and 60's. Giordano wasn't known for his athletic prowess, it was his organizational skills and enthusiasm for the game that made him an indispensable part of the local sporting fabric. Bob truly loved to share his time and talent with the young people of Kelowna.
Bob passed away in October 1965.
- Awarded to an individual who has contributed significantly to Kelowna through voluntary service to amateur sport, such as coaching or administrative support.
- Selections are based on the nominees achievements/contributions for the year 2018.
- Past information can be included, but should primarily be regarding the current award year.
- Nominees must no have personally benefitted from their volunteer activities, nor should the contributions be considered part of their normal employment or job responsibilities.
- Selections are based solely on the information in the completed nomination package.
2018 Bob Giordano Memorial Award Recipient
For the past 26 years, Devin has been the Sailing Director of the Central Okanagan Sailing Association where some 3,500 students come annually to learn windsurfing and sailing. He created COSA’s first Race Team 25 years ago that he still manages and coaches, and has encouraged and mentored many students to become coaches themselves. He has also worked with athletes with mobility challenges for nearly three decades in the Able Sailing program.
Over the years, he has coached athletes to the Canadian Paralympic and National Defense teams at more than two dozen World Championships and World Games, taking place in more than 20 countries. A veteran of almost 20 BC and Canada Games, Devin’s athletes had podium finishes every year but one and have won countless medals over the past 26 years.
In addition to organizing the Okanagan’s largest annual sailing event for the last 20 years, he also sits on boards for the Central Okanagan Small Boat Association, Shoe Bank Canada, Pacific Sport, Okanagan College’s Board of Governors and is co-Director of Sport for BC’s 2019 55+ Games. His previous awards include Coach of the Year from the Coaches Association of BC and Sailing Instructor of the Year from Sail Canada.
As a Business Professor at Okanagan College, Devin is the faculty advisor for Enactus, the Marketing and Debate Clubs, Chair of the Okanagan School of Business Promotion Committee and is a faculty coach for multiple student competition teams. He has helped coach Enactus teams to podium finishes at both the Western Canadian and National Enactus Championships.
- 2017 - Linda McIntosh
- 2016 - Kendall Gross
- 2015 - Dennis Richardson
- 2014 - Tom Maxwell
- 2013 - Dino Gini
- 2012 - Hal Hennenfent
- 2011 - Tony Sodaro
- 2010 - Terry Britton
- 2009 - Arnar Bernhardsson
- 2008 - Dan Wray
- 2007 - Garth Vickers
- 2006 - Dave McClellan
- 2005 - Jane Fairey
- 2004 - Ross Sutcliffe
- 2003 - Ken Wilson
- 2002 - Lloyd Nelson
- 2001 - Jennifer Charles
- 2000 - Kevin Davies
- 1999 - Joan Schemley