Female Athlete of the Year Award
- Awarded to the female athlete (amateur or professional) who brought the greatest amount of recognition to Kelowna.
- Include Provincial, National and World Ranking if applicable.
- Selections are based on the nominee's achievements for the year 2017.
- Past information (awards and achievements) may be included, but should be primarily regarding the current award year.
- Finalist selections are based solely on the information in the completed nomination package.
2017 Female Athlete of the Year Award Recipient
When you’re a 16 year old and you find yourself lined up toe to toe with women who are well into their 20s, it can be a little intimidating, but that hasn’t slowed down this accomplished track athlete – as Taryn O’Neill often qualifies and competes an age group up.
Taryn’s podium finishes in the 1500 and 3000 meter events during the 2017 track and field season included winning gold in the Langley Pacific Invitational, gold at the Jesse Bent Invitational and the BC Championships; she earned silver medals in the BC High School Championships and silver again while representing Canada at the Junior Pan American Games held in Peru; finishing her season with a bronze in the Canadian Youth Cross Country Championships.
Other top ten finishes included sixth place finishes in both the Canadian Junior Championships and Canada Summer Games. She currently holds the BC Youth age group record in the 3000 meters, set at 9 minutes 22 seconds.
Ranked number two in Canada in both the 1500 and 3000 meter track events, Taryn still finds time to volunteer on her school’s grad committee and leadership team as well as at the local Jack Brow track meet.
- 2016 - Taylor Ruck
- 2015 - Kierra Smith
- 2014 - Kelsey Serwa
- 2013 - Keely Watts-Watling
- 2012 - Jen Woods
- 2011 - Kelsey Serwa
- 2010 - Kelsey Serwa
- 2009 - Samantha Richdale
- 2008 - Heather Mandoli
- 2007 - Sarah Charles
- 2006 - Robyn Buna
- 2005 - Jessie Denys
- 2003 - Sarah Charles