Rezoning & OCP amendments

Home / Homes & building / Property Development / Rezoning & OCP amendments

Each property in Kelowna has a zoning classification that regulates its density and land use. To find out your current zoning and/or future land use designation, refer to the online mapping system.

Online mapping system

When is rezoning required?

"Rezoning" is the process to change from one zoning designation to another.  A rezoning application is required when a development proposal seeks to change a zoning designation, land use, or density of a site.  This can include items such as rezoning from a single family dwelling lot to a duplex lot; or changing commercial zones to allow different uses. Take a look through our Zoning Bylaw to see what uses are allowed in each zone.

Zoning Bylaw

When is an Official Community Plan (OCP) amendment required?

An OCP Amendment is required to change the long term Future Land Use designation for a subject property. If the zone that is proposed is not supported by the current Future Land Use, and OCP Amendment is required to change the Future Land Use. OCP amendment applications must always be accompanied by a rezoning application. Staff will formally review the application in terms of items such as nearby Future Land Uses, access, location in the city, and size of the subject property. A recommendation will be made based on the staff review and presented to Council for consideration.

Official Community Plan

Overview of the Rezoning Process

A pre-application meeting with one of our staff can be helpful if you already have a good concept of your desired outcome and design. Having sketches and zoning analysis complete prior to the meeting will ensure you get the best feedback possible. Feel free to contact us at to set up a pre-application meeting.

Working collaboratively to benefit the community is our goal. To ensure your application is successful, we are committed to working with you and your team of professionals prior to submitting an application.

To apply please complete a Development Permit Application.

Applications can be submitted with payment to the Application Centre on the 2nd floor of City Hall. Have a question? Contact us at

Submit an Application

Ensure that all submission requirements are met prior to submitting your application. Incomplete applications will cause delays with your project. You can review the application documents and checklists here:

Internal and External Review Process

All applications are sent out for a comprehensive review process to both internal and external agencies. This may include Development Engineering, FortisBC, BC Assessment, Ministry of Transportation, Water Providers and others. Once all comments have been received, your file manager will review the requirements with you.

Staff's position on the application will be formalized and communicated with you.

Neighbourhood Consultation

Every rezoning and OCP application (as well as any variance applications) do require a component of neighbourhood consultation according to Council Policy #367. This must be completed prior to initial consideration by Council. Some items to include in your consultation package is a site plan, a description of the project, and your file manager contact at the City.

It's always a good idea to speak with your neighbours early on and often during a process of development.

Initial Consideration by Council

Once your file manager has completed the Report to Council with a recommendation regarding your project - a date for Council's Initial Consideration will be approved and set for your project. Initial Consideration occurs on a Monday afternoon Council meeting at 1:30 in Council Chambers. If Staff are recommending support for your project, you will not be asked to speak at this meeting. If Staff are recommending non-support for your project, you will be given 15 minutes to present to Mayor and Council and you may use visual displays as well.

Should Council support your application a date for a Public Hearing will be set on a Tuesday at 6:00 pm. It is recommended that you attend this meeting as you will have an opportunity to speak directly to Mayor and Council or answer any questions they may have. 

Public Hearing

A Public Hearing is an opportunity for any member of the public who deems to be affected by your proposal to have an opportunity to communicate with Council. The members of the public can send information in advance to, or they may attend the meeting and speak directly to Council.

As an applicant you will also have an opportunity to speak to your project. For information on how to speak at a Public Hearing please review:

Should Council support your application following the Public Hearing, they will give your application 2nd and 3rd readings at the same meeting. After 3rd reading, it is the applicant's responsibility to meet any requirements of the Council resolution in order to advance to fourth reading.

Fourth and Final Reading

In order for your proposal to receive 4th and final reading, any requirements in the Council resolution will need to be met. This may include Legal Documentation such as the signing of a covenant or a right of way, this may include final approval from Ministry of Transportation, or it may include the Development Engineering requirements which are specific to each individual property. In some cases Landscape Bonding or Servicing Bonding will need to be addressed as well.

If your project includes a Development Permit or Development Variance Permit, your file manager will complete a Report to Council regarding the DP/DVP and that will be voted on by Council in conjunction with your project receiving 4th reading.

If you have a questions, contact your file manager or

What about Fees?

Application fees vary and may change from time to time with Council approval.

To confirm the fees refer to the Development Applications Fee Bylaw No. 10560 online. Other costs may also include:

  • Development Engineering requirements for off-site improvements (eg. water, sewer, road improvements)
  • Development Cost Charges (DCC’s) will apply and be payable at time of Building Permit or Subdivision Approval
  • Legal and survey fees
  • Consultant fees
  • Bonding requirements (for servicing and/or landscape requirements)