Development variance permits

If your project doesn’t conform to a bylaw, you will need to apply for a development variance permit. Receiving a development variance permit gives you approval from Council to vary one or more regulations in regulations in the Zoning Bylaw, Subdivision Development and Servicing Bylaw or Sign Bylaw.

Read this overview on the development process

Planning staff consider each variance application on a site-specific basis and make a recommendation of support or non-support to Council. As per the Local Government Act, variances can only be approved by Council  – they can’t be delegated to a staff member or manager. Take time to review the bylaws and communicate with a Planner prior to applying for a variance.

Application form & requirements

As part of the development variance permit process, you will be required to complete a neighbourhood notification as per Council Policy #367. You will also be required to post a sign on your property that provides information about the variance, and your neighbours will be informed of the application and given an opportunity to comment on it at a Council meeting.

A development variance permit can’t vary land use or density. If approved by Council, a development variance permit is registered on title and will expire after two years if the development has not started.