Carriage house proposals

Home > Homes & building > Property Development > Carriage house proposals

A carriage house is a smaller, secondary house that can be used for guests or family, or as a rental. Carriage houses are restricted in size and height relative to the main dwelling, and can’t be subdivided or stratified.

Read this overview on the development process

Carriage houses and secondary suites are two types of additional residential dwellings, and they are regulated differently. Secondary suites are allowed within all single-family dwellings across Kelowna. Carriage houses are only allowed in certain zones. Where zoning permits carriage houses and secondary suites, a property can have either one secondary suite or one carriage house in addition to a single-family dwelling. Both carriage houses and secondary suites require building permits.

Carriage House Bulletin

Carriage house zoning guidelines

Carriage houses are only permitted on properties that are zoned:

  • RU6 – two dwelling housing
  • RU1c – large lot housing with carriage house
  • RU2c – medium lot housing with carriage house
  • RR1c – rural residential 1 with carriage house
  • RR2c – rural residential 2 with carriage house
  • RR3c – rural residential 3 with carriage house

Check out our online mapping system to see if your property is zoned for a carriage house. After clicking on the map, turn on the zoning layer. 

Learn more

If your property is not currently zoned for a carriage house, you may be able to rezone your property through a rezoning application process. Learn more about the rezoning process.

Carriage houses aren’t permitted outside of the permanent growth boundary or on land that is within the Agricultural Land Reserve. Additionally, to be considered for a carriage house, your property must either have sewer access or be at least one hectare in size to meet the safety requirements of the Okanagan Water Basin Board.

Carriage houses & two-dwelling housing (RU6 Zone)

A carriage house is a smaller, secondary dwelling unit located within a detached accessory building. Carriage houses are restricted in size and height relative to the principal dwelling and are considered a secondary use - they can’t be subdivided or stratified.

In comparison, where two-dwelling housing is permitted, a property can have two principal dwellings. For example, a property could have a duplex or two single family dwellings, which could be stratified and sold separately.

Learn more

To be eligible for a second principal dwelling, your property must be zoned RU6 - Two Dwelling Housing or RU7 - Infill Housing and meet the minimum lot size requirements. Lots that are zoned RU6 but don’t meet the minimum lot size for two dwelling housing are restricted to a principal dwelling and a carriage house.

There are different development regulations such as floor area, site coverage, setbacks, and height, as well as development cost charges, depending on if you’re building a carriage house or a second principal dwelling.