Carriage House Proposals

A carriage house is a smaller, secondary house that can be used for guests or family, or as a long-term rental. Carriage houses are restricted in size and height, and can’t be subdivided or stratified for individual re-sale. Check out our Carriage House Bulletin for an overview of the zones and regulations to have a carriage house.

Carriage house zoning guidelines

A carriage house is permitted on all RU1, RU2 and RU4 zoned properties within the C-NHD - Core Area Neighbourhood future land use designation. To find out what your future land use is, check out our map viewer. In other areas of the City, the property must be rezoned with a "c" designation to permit a carriage house. A carriage house is now permitted on agricultural properties with specific regulations for ALR properties and non-ALR properties.

 Carriage House Bulletin

Learn more

If your property is not currently zoned for a carriage house, you may be able to rezone your property through a rezoning application process. Learn more about the rezoning process.

Carriage houses have very specific regulations depending on the zone, please refer to the Zoning Bylaw for the detailed requirements. Additionally, to be considered for a carriage house, your property must either have sewer access or be at least one hectare in size to meet the safety requirements of the Okanagan Water Basin Board.

Carriage houses & two-dwelling housing (RU4 Zone)

A carriage house is a smaller, secondary dwelling unit located within a detached accessory building. Carriage houses are restricted in size and height and are considered a secondary use - they can’t be subdivided or stratified. In comparison, where two-dwelling housing is permitted (RU4 - Duplex Housing), a property can have two principal dwellings. For example, a property could have a duplex or two single family dwellings, which could be stratified and sold separately.

Read this overview on the development process