Property tax payment options
Pay your property taxes and apply for the Home Owner Grant before the first business day in July every year to avoid a penalty. We recommend paying through your financial institution or signing up for monthly prepayment to take the stress out of taxes.
Be sure to sign up for property tax e-updates to receive important information about taxes, deadlines, grants and more.
Search for "Kelowna" (taxes) as a payee and use your folio number (ignore decimals) found on your tax notice as the account number (tip: add zeros to the beginning of the number if your bank requires more digits). For instructions on setting the City of Kelowna up as an online bill payment, please view the Online Services Guide .
Take the stress out of paying taxes by setting up monthly prepayments. Simple interest will be paid on your prepayments at the Royal Bank prime rate less three per cent (minimum 0.4 per cent). This interest is considered a tax discount by Canada Revenue Agency and is tax free.
For more information, visit our Prepayment programs page.
There are two night deposit boxes at City Hall. The first is just to the right of the main doors and the second is at the parking lot exit on Doyle Avenue. During property tax season (mid May to the first working day after the July civic holiday), the Parkinson Recreation Centre has a drop box located inside the building at their front counter.
Payments via cheque or money order can be left in these deposit boxes. Remember to write your tax folio number on your cheque.
- Send a payment and the Home Owner Grant application (if applicable) to the City of Kelowna, Attention: Revenue Branch at 1435 Water Street, Kelowna, BC, V1Y 1J4.
- Write the folio number on your cheque and ensure that the cheque is payable to the City of Kelowna.
- Post-dated cheques are accepted.
- Mail lost or delayed by the post office will be assessed with a penalty if late, as the postmark will not be considered as the date of payment.
- Mail in a post-dated cheque early to avoid penalties.
- In the event of a postal disruption, please utilize alternative payment methods to ensure that payment is received by the due date.
- Methods of payment accepted are:
- debit card,
- money order,
- post-dated cheque payable to City of Kelowna.
- Our hours of operation are 8am to 4pm, Monday to Friday (excluding statutory holidays).
- Please ensure both your payment and your grant application are completed in full before seeing the cashier.
Use your original current tax notice to make payment at your local financial institution as some will not accept reprints.
Please note: Financial institutions will not apply for the Home Owner Grant on behalf of their customers.
The City of Kelowna is not responsible for errors made by financial institutions. Follow up with your financial institution to find out more.
- If it is your Mortgage company's intent to pay your property tax, a statement confirming notification to the organization that holds your mortgage will be shown on the property tax notice.
- The Home Owner Grant application (if applicable) must be completed and returned to the Revenue Branch at City Hall by the due date.
- Please ensure that your mortgage provider is aware whether or not you are claiming the grant each year.
- The City of Kelowna is not responsible for errors made by mortgage providers.