Excessive audible noise such as shouting, amplified devices, TVs, radios, and musical instruments can be disturbing to your neighbours. Noise, sounds or vibrations from construction sites or properties under renovation is considered construction noise.
What you need to know:
- Construction noise is not permitted on any day before 7 a.m. or after 9 p.m.
- A Noise Variance Permit may be granted for the purpose of completing a construction task outside the permitted hours (Development Services Department)
- Noise that occurs within a strata unit (apartment, or condo complex) or rental unit should be reported to the strata council or property management company for enforcement
- Noise caused by the harbouring of any animal or bird which by its barks, cries or sounds that disturbs the quiet, peace, rest, enjoyment, comfort or convenience of the public is prohibited and subject to noise control enforcement
- Party noise, where alcoholic beverages and large groups are in attendance, is to be directed to the RCMP for enforcement at 250-762-3300
- Noise occurring on Agricultural land for the purpose of farming (helicopters, bird bangers, farming equipment, etc.) can be reported to the Province/Agricultural Land Commission by calling 1-604-660-7000
- Noise caused by a person performing works of an emergency nature, such as snowplowing/clearing, is exempt from the bylaw
How to report a noise complaint:
- To report a noise concern, please contact Bylaw Services at 250-469-8686 or submit a service request
- Excessive noise from engine brakes can be reported to Commercial Vehicle Safety and Enforcement (CVSE): 1-888-775-8785
- To report agricultural noise or farm noise call 1-604-660-7000 or visit alc.gov.bc.ca
- For noise emanating from traffic (mufflers, loud stereos, etc.), and any other ‘moving’ violation, please call RCMP at 250-762-3300
For more information:
Good Neighbour Bylaw No. 11500