Register a complaint

Home > City Hall > Bylaws > Bylaw services > Register a complaint

How to register a complaint 

If you feel that a person or company in Kelowna has violated a bylaw, you can register a complaint with the City. Learn more about the city’s bylaws by visiting our Bylaws & policies page.

Complaints are accepted at City Hall in person, by telephone, in writing, by voicemail or online. Complaints must include your name, address, phone number and relationship to the property or individual that youre making the complaint about. This information is strictly confidential and won’t be released to anyone without the informant’s consent, or if required in a court of law through due process. Anonymous complaints arent accepted.  

All cases will be looked at on their own merits and reasonably dealt with. Any response will be appropriate to the scale of the offence. 

Complaint process 

  • A file is opened once a complaint has been received 
  • Complaints are then classified according to the following priority system: 
    • Priority one: Health and safety
    • Priority two: City liability
    • Priority three: Nuisances
    • Priority four: Nominal infractions
  • A bylaw officer will open an investigation in relation to the complaint made and prioritise it as per policy 
    • A documented history of repeat and persistent offenders will be considered when deciding response options, as well as offence type, location, offender, history (number of calls, enforcement action) and frequency of calls (day, date and time) 
  • Depending on the circumstances, the officer may issue: :
    • A warning notice with directions to remedy the problem within a specified time frame 
    • A fine
    • An order that allows the City to remedy the violation and bill the property owner for the cost 
  • If it’s determined that no bylaw violation has taken place, the complainant may be advised that no further action is being taken. If a violation is found, the property owner/occupier will be encouraged to voluntarily fix the situation and the complainant will also be notified.
  • Bylaw Services may contact you to appear as a witness if the matter goes to court