Property tax deferment

Home > City Hall > Property taxes > Property tax deferment

Once you receive your property tax notice, you may be able to apply to the Province of BC for a low interest loan to pay the current year property taxes on your principal residence.

  • If you have a line for "Utility Service Charges" on your tax notice, this amount must be paid to the City of Kelowna as it is not eligible for deferment. Please see the sample property tax bill for the location of this line.
  • All penalties, interest and any arrears and/or delinquent property taxes must also be paid
  • Remember to claim your Home Owner Grant

Learn more about the property tax deferment program, including eligibility and how to apply, at or by sending an email to

  • On the deferment website, there is an "Apply Now" button at the top right of the main page.
  • On the first page of the online application "Roll number" is the same as "Folio number"
    • If using your BC Assessment notice, this is the last six to eight digits  after the dashes
    • If using your tax notice this is the number in the top left box.

Homeowners needing support to complete an application can phone 1-888-355-2700 (toll-free within Canada) or 250-387-0555 (outside Canada).

Individuals wanting in-person assistance can go to any Service BC centre and have an agent provide information on the deferment program. There are over 60 Service BC Centres throughout the province. Please note that Temporary Hours of Operation may be in place.