Recreation contract instructor opportunities
Instructors are hired to teach programs on a seasonal contract basis in various parks and facilities throughout Kelowna. Some programs include Kick and Run Soccer, T-Ball, Gymnastics, Dance, Art, Cooking, Camps and much more! Postings for current available positions are located below.
For new program proposals submit a resume and a brief summary of the program to email@example.com.
Contract Instructor opportunities are listed below and will be removed once they are filled.
COVID-19 Update: We are continuously monitoring the rapidly changing situation regarding COVID-19 and ensuring that our programming reflects current public health directives. Currently the application deadline has been extended to April 30th and hiring to take place in May-June. As the situation progresses, additional changes may need to be made to the 2020 Park & Play program and hiring process.
The City of Kelowna is currently looking for seasonal full-time and part-time recreation contract instructors for Park & Play. Park & Play is a free community event that encourages families to go outside and discover their neighbourhood park or green space. Every weeknight throughout July and August, the Park & Play team will attend select parks to provide free recreational activities such as soccer, catch, giant board games, relays, inflatables, and lead various inclusive activities. With a focus on recreation and facilitating opportunities for neighbours to connect, this program helps turn geographic neighbourhoods into active communities.
Under the supervision of the Community Development Coordinators, Park & Play leaders will:
- Assist in the planning, promotion and delivery of the Park & Play program.
- Lead fun, safe, accessible and inclusive recreational activities. Activities could include ball sports, relay races, board games, and various team and individual activities.
- Foster a socially interactive family and neighbourhood environment.
- Encourage active participation of families.
- Background in recreation, community or social development, education and/or special events.
- Excellent communication skills, ability to work in a team environment, attention to detail and ability to multi-task.
- Self-starter with positive attitude.
- Experience working with children and families.
- First aid and CPR required.
- Criminal Record Check required
- Able to lift heavy objects unaided and repetitively weighing up to 50 pounds. Comfortable moving heavier items (eg. bouncy castle) with support of other staff and assistive equipment.
- Full time contract instructors are required to drive the City truck and trailer to and from each event. Therefore, applicants must be at least 19 years of age and have a valid CLASS Driver’s License to be eligible for the full time position.
- 2 full time positions Monday-Friday 2pm-9pm (July 6-August 28)
- 1 part time position Monday-Friday 4:45-8:45pm (July 6-August 28)
- 1 casual position Wednesday mornings 9:00am-12:30pm (July 8-August 26).
- 1 substitute position covering shifts not filled by regular staff (varies)
- Please note: If hired, you will need to be available 2 days of training in early June. There may also be various additional events in May, June and September that require Park & Play support and offer additional shifts (dependent on current public health directives). Dates and times vary for these pre/post program events.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 30, 2020.
Please indicate which position you are applying for in the subject line.
Please submit your resume and coverletter to email@example.com.
For more details, please review the information below.
- Contact Information
- Previous and current education
- Skills and certifications
- Accomplishments and achievements
- Any relevant information to support the position you are applying for
Please include a list of at least 3 references with your resume.