City utility billing

What’s new in utility billing? This November the City of Kelowna started handling City water and utility billing, a service previously provided by Corix on the City’s behalf. There are a number of different water utility providers in Kelowna; this change applies to City of Kelowna water customers only and to all sewer utility customers (unless you pay for sewer on your taxes).

We provide utility services to residents within our service area. Utility bills are issued on the 6th or 16th bi-monthly, depending on which billing cycle covers a particular location. Residential customers who are billed for sewer service only will find these charges on their annual Property Tax Notice.

Go paperless: receive your bills electronically and manage your account and profile online.

Log in to online billing

Have a question? For account or general utility information contact Utility Billing Customer Care Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. at or call 250-469-8757 (option 2). For after hours and emergencies call 250-469-8600.

What's changed?
Your bill and account number

You’ll notice minor changes to your bill statement style, but paper and e-billing statements will be the same.

Your account number has changed. Please make adjustment with your financial institution, through online and telephone banking, or on your cheque. During the transition don’t worry if you accidentally pay to your old account, the payment will be applied to your new one.


Access your account, view historical statements and manage your profile online, it’s easy and convenient.

Once you receive your first new bill (November or December) you can sign up for ebilling, which we highly recommend. If you were signed up with Corix for ebilling, you will need to re-sign up at the new web location with your new account number. The process is easy and should only take you a few minutes.

Customers will have access to Corix eCare for their historical statements until Dec. 31, 2017

Equalized Payment Plan

As part of the change this November, customers who were previously enrolled in budget billing with Corix eCare will need to apply for the new Equalized Payment Plan.

The Equalized Payment Plan is set up to provide a convenient schedule for paying your City of Kelowna Utility bills. Customers receive a bi-monthly bill showing actual usage but make 11 equal monthly payments based on average usage (calculated from the previous 12 months’ usage). Once a year in the fall you will receive a true-up/reconciliation bill with a charge or a credit for the difference between the monthly payments made and the actual consumption charged to your account.

When you first enrol in the Equalized Payment Plan you will be contacted by the City of Kelowna to confirm your calculated average monthly payments. To participate in the plan, you will need to sign up for the Pre-Authorized Withdrawal System (PAWS) – see Payment Options below.

Tenant accounts

Utility Billing is moving to accounts attached to a property in the owner’s name.

Over time, tenant accounts will be phased out and no new tenant accounts will be created. The change will be gradual: existing tenant accounts will be maintained until that tenant moves out or the property changes ownership. When a tenant moves out, at that time the utility account will be transferred to the property in the owner’s name.

Landlords can request a copy of the bill to be sent to the tenant at the property, addressed to Occupant.

Tenant account in arrears? Previously the City of Kelowna transferred closed tenant accounts with an outstanding balance to the property owner’s property taxes. In 2018, there will be a grace period; however, on Dec. 31 2018, all unpaid tenant account balances (active or closed accounts) will be transferred to the owner’s property taxes at the end of each year.

See the Utility Billing FAQs to learn more about changes to tenant accounts.

Security deposits

The City of Kelowna will no longer collect a security deposit for utility accounts. Existing security deposits will be held until the account is closed, at which point it will be returned.


Utility billing accounts no longer close when a customer moves to a different property because utility accounts are tied to the property, not the person. New owners will adopt the property’s account number and will need to set up the account in their name. We recommend ebilling for easy and convenient online registration and access.

The City no longer does final reads and bills when a property sells. The estimated utility charges and balances will need to be reconciled by lawyers and real estate agents as part of the sale, similar to how tax balances are calculated through a statement of adjustments. You can call Utility Billing Customer Care for assistance with approximating calculations.

Contact Utility Billing Customer Care at 250-469-8757 at least two (2) business days before your move so we can update account and profile information.

Utility services and billing information
Services available
  • Water - Residential and commercial customers within the City’s  water supply boundaries  are billed for water supply based on consumption in cubic meters.
  • Residential Sewer - Residential customers who receive sewer services as well as water services from the City of Kelowna are billed for sewer as a flat rate charge on their bi-monthly utility bill. Residential customers who receive sewer only services from the City of Kelowna (with water services provided by other utility providers) are billed annually on their property tax bill.
  • Commercial Sewer - Commercial customers within the City’s sewer service boundaries are based on water consumption in cubic metres. Commercial customers who use water that will not end up in the City’s sewer system, such as for landscape irrigation purposes, are encouraged to investigate the feasibility of purchasing and installing an irrigation credit meter. Such a meter would measure the water that had already passed through the ‘main’ meter and is flowing to the non-sewered activities. Credit meters must be purchased through the City of Kelowna if they are to be read by CustomerWorks meter readers for billing purposes.     
Late payments

A late payment charge of 1.5% will be assessed each month (compounded monthly 19.56% per annum) on all outstanding balances not paid by the due date printed on the utility bill. All payments or credits received on an account will be applied in reverse date order from the oldest outstanding charge to the newest charge.

Any amounts due  which remain unpaid after December 31st of the year are deemed to be taxes in arrears and added to the property taxes on that property. For further information regarding this process, visit our Transfer to taxes FAQs page.

Equalized Payment Plan

The Equalized Payment Plan is set up to provide customers with a convenient schedule for paying their City of Kelowna Utility bills. See above What's changed section for more information and review  the FAQ information sheet.

New accounts

The current administration charge for new accounts is $5 for water service.  This charge is subject to change, is added to the first billing received by the customer, and does not have to be paid at the time of application.

As part of the recent utility billing changes, the City will no longer open new tenant accounts. See the Utility Billing FAQs for more information.

Payment options
Internet or telephone banking

Make payment to your customer account number.  For instructions on how to set up the City of Kelowna as an online bill payment, please view the Online Utility Payment Guide.

Pre-Authorized Payment System (PAWS)

The Pre-Authorized Withdrawal system (PAWS) is a convenient method to pay your City of Kelowna utility bill.

The total amount will be deducted on the payment due date, unless your Utility Account shows a credit balance, or if you have enrolled in the Equalized Payment Plan. If you are enrolled in the Equalized Payment Plan, the amount deducted will be an estimate based on the average of your billing history over the past 12 months divided into 11 equal installments with a yearly true-up/reconciliation bill. You will need to enrol in PAWS under the Equalized Payment Plan.

The Pre-Authorized Payment application form must be completed, signed and accompanied by a blank check marked VOID or by a Pre-Authorized Debit form from your bank. A separate application form is required for each City of Kelowna Utility billing account you wish to set up on PAWS.

Changing bank accounts or need to stop a payment? Contact Utility Billing Customer Care at least 20 days in advance of the payment due date at 250-469-8757.

At your financial institution

Present your bill for payment at most financial institutions in Canada.  We are not responsible for errors made by financial institutions.

By mail

Send cheque or money order to City of Kelowna Revenue Branch, 1435 Water Street Kelowna BC V1Y 1J4.  Please allow enough time for mailed remittances to reach the office by the due date.  We do not accept postmarks as proof of payment date. Please utilize alternative payment methods in the event of a postal disruption.

In person at City Hall

Methods of payment accepted are:

  • cash,
  • debit card,
  • money order,
  • cheque payable to City of Kelowna. 

Our hours of operation are 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday to Friday (excluding statutory holidays).
Please remember to present your entire bill when paying at the cashier.

Drop your payment in one of our drop boxes

Use the night deposit boxes at the City Hall Water Street entrance or Doyle Avenue parking lot exit.  Please do not put cash in the deposit boxes.

Sewer repairs and maintenance
Whose responsibility is it?

Customers are responsible for sewer repairs and maintenance on their own property, as well as ensuring that the sewer remains clear of blockages from the building to the main in the street.  Customers should call a plumber to unplug or clear blockages.  If the sewer service requires repair on City property (in the street) call the after-hours/emergergency line at 250-469-8600 to report the service break.  We will reimburse the customer for reasonable plumbing charges incurred in determining that there is a service break on City property.