Policing services for the City of Kelowna are provided by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) and guided by a crime reduction strategy. The RCMP have proudly served Canadian communities for more than 130 years, establishing a reputation as one of the most respected police forces in the world. Check out the Kelowna RCMP webpage for more information.
Here are some key findings from a 2019 survey of Kelowna residents:
- 99% of residents feel very safe or somewhat safe in their neighbourhood during the daytime
- 98% of residents feel very safe or somewhat safe in their residence during the daytime
- Open-ended responses from respondents mentions low crime rates as the primary reason for why they feel their neighbourhood is safe relative to others in the city.
We commissioned NRG Research Group to conduct a telephone survey to 300 randomly selected residents in Kelowna in early 2019. The objectives of the survey were to:
- Determine Kelowna residents' perceptions of their own neighbourhoods
- Assess Kelowna residents' perceptions of crime and feelings of safety in regions and citywide
- Assess changes in perceived levels of property crime within the last 12 months
- Determine which crime-related problems cause worry
- Assess the role that crime/ potential crime and victimization plays in residents' daily lives
- Determine the prevalence of criminal victimization of residents and the extent to which crimes are reported to the police
Investment in safety
We take crime prevention seriously, investing one quarter of tax dollars in police services and fostering a great reporting relationship with the RCMP.
The 2016-2019 Crime Reduction Strategy guides RCMP efforts and includes the following goals:
- Prevent crime before it occurs through a proactive approach
- Work with partner agencies for more effective policing
- Maximize the efficiencies of resources through an intelligence-led model
- Effectively communicate public safety