Policing services for the City of Kelowna are provided by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) and guided by a crime reduction strategy. The RCMP have proudly served Canadian communities for more than 130 years, establishing a reputation as one of the most respected police forces in the world. Check out the Kelowna RCMP webpage for more information.
We commissioned Leger to conduct a telephone survey of residents in Kelowna in early 2022. The objectives of the survey were to:
- Determine Kelowna residents' perceptions of their own neighbourhoods
- Assess Kelowna residents' perceptions of crime and feelings of safety in regions and citywide
- Assess changes in perceived levels of property crime within the last 12 months
- Determine which crime-related problems cause worry
- Assess the role that crime/ potential crime and victimization plays in residents' daily lives
- Determine the prevalence of criminal victimization of residents and the extent to which crimes are reported to the police
View the full results of the safety survey here.
Investment in safety
We take crime prevention seriously, investing one quarter of tax dollars in police services and fostering a great reporting relationship with the RCMP.
The 2021-2024 RCMP Strategic Plan guides RCMP efforts and includes the following high-level objectives:
- Increase the sense of safety in our public spaces
- Decrease the risk of property crime
- Earn the trust of more citizens that have experienced persons crime