Transfer to taxes FAQs

The following list of frequently asked questions (FAQs) is meant to provide answers to questions that are commonly asked about the transfer of outstanding utility bills to the property tax bill.

Why has this utility arrears amount been added to my property taxes?

The Water and Sewer utilities within the City of Kelowna service area are owned by the City. As such, Section 258 of the Province of British Columbia’s Community Charter establishes that all utility accounts of municipally-owned utilities are liens against the property, and the outstanding balances of those accounts that are in default at December 31st are transferred to the tax account where the services were originally provided. This transfer happens annually on March 1 of each year.  The Community Charter governs the City’s actions, whereby all accounts with unpaid balances that have a balance as at December 31st are transferred to the appropriate tax roll for the fiscal year in which the charges were incurred.

What is your process for notification of property owners acting as landlords? Will I get notified of tenants in arrears?

Property owners will be notified when there is an overdue balance that may be transferred to the property tax account.  We recommend signing up for ebilling to provide you with convenient access to your utility account(s).

Account status
Where can I get information on an overdue account?

Utility Billing Customer Care can provide the property owner with the applicable utility billing information. Please contact or 250-469-8757 (option 2).

Can I make a partial payment now and pay the rest later?

The City will waive the interest on the transfer amount from January 1 to date of payment, as long as that payment is made to the City of Kelowna, Revenue Branch no later than March 31. Section 258 of the Province of British Columbia’s Community Charter, which regulates this process, requires that the transfers be applied as an arrears balance which sets up an interest charge. If this is paid by March 31 the interest charge will be waived.

The interest rate is set every 3 months by the Province.

How can I pay the utilities that were transferred to my tax roll? Where can I make payment?

The outstanding utility arrears amount(s) is now part of taxes. Therefore, payment must be made to the tax roll, not the utility account.  Visit our Property Tax Payment Options page for more information.

What happens if you get a payment from this tenant later? Who gets that money? How will I know?

If the City of Kelowna receives any payments on utility arrears amounts transferred to taxes, those funds will be credited to the tax account where the transfer to tax was originally charged.

Who can I talk to about the transfer to taxes process?

For utility billing related questions please contact Utility Billing Customer Care at or 250-469-8757 (option 2) between the hours of 8 a.m. and 4 p.m.

For property tax related questions please contact the Revenue Branch at  or 250-469-8757 between the hours of 8 a.m. and 4 p.m.