Safe needle disposal
Call the non-emergency Fire Department at 250-469-8801 to report inappropriately discarded needles found on public property.
Select “needle collection” to report the location of the needle, including the street address. Staff will collect the needle or advise of safe options for disposal. Please note: this needle collection line is only for public spaces.
Follow the steps below if you are comfortable disposing of the syringe yourself.
Safely disposing of a needle
If you’re comfortable safely picking up and disposing of a needle found in a public space or outside your home, please follow the steps below, which are also on Interior Health’s website. We understand that finding improperly disposed needles can cause anxiety, but it’s important to know that Interior Health indicates that the risk of getting sick from a needle is extremely low.
Please don’t place needles in the garbage or recycling.
Steps to safely dispose of a needle
Find a rigid plastic container with a secure lid, like a plastic drink bottle with a wide mouth. Remove the lid and place the container on the ground beside the needle.
Carefully pick up the needle by the centre of the syringe barrel. Always point the sharp end of the needle down and away from you. Put the needle in the container with the sharp-end first and secure the lid. Don’t break, or try to recap the needle. Wear gloves, or use tongs, if they’re available.
Remove your gloves and wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water
Drop off the sealed container to a local health unit:
- Living Positive Resource Centre, 255 Lawrence Avenue (Monday-Friday, 2-5 p.m. for public drop-off)
- Outreach Urban Health Centre, 1649 Pandosy Street (Monday-Friday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. for public drop-off)
- Kelowna Community Health Centre, 505 Doyle Avenue, second floor (Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. for public drop-off)
- Rutland Community Health Centre, 155 Gray Road (Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m. to Noon and 1-4:30 p.m. for public drop-off)
Needle disposal boxes that accommodate small personal sharps container or small closed plastic containers can be found at the following locations:
- Kelowna RCMP Detachment, 1190 Richter Street
- Outreach Urban Health Centre, 1649 Pandosy Street
- Rutland Community Policing Office, 115 McInstosh Road