Mobile food vendors
Mobile food vendors who wish to operate in Kelowna are subject to the requirements of the Fire and Life Safety Bylaw, 10760, as listed below. Vendors who are non-compliant with the requirements won't be permitted to continue operating. Vendors are subject to an annual inspection from the Kelowna Fire Department to permit operation. Alternatively, vendors may submit a completed Self-Evaluation Form if they meet the listed requirements. An inspection decal will be provided upon completion of the inspection. Mobile Vendors without a City of Kelowna Business License will be charged an inspection fee of $52.50.
Each year, the Fire Department hosts a day where mobile food vendors are not charged for their inspection.
FREE INSPECTION DAY - ONE DAY ONLY!
April 22nd, 2023 | 8:30am - 4:30pm
No appointment Necessary
Kelowna Fire Department - Station #1
2255 Enterprise Way, Kelowna BC
For special events approved by the Outdoor Events Committee, fire inspections must be conducted a minimum of three hours prior to operation. All vendors are subject to routine inspections from the Kelowna Fire Department.
Mobile food vendor requirements through the Fire Department:
- The mobile vendor must have a valid business license, be approved through the inter-community mobile license program, or be a vendor at an event approved by our Outdoor Events Committee
- The mobile vendor must be approved by Technical Safety BC and ensure that all decals are visible
- Cooking and/or grilling shall not be conducted under tents. Cooking appliances must have a one-meter horizontal spatial separation from non-rated tents. Tents conforming to the NFPA 705 requirements don't require this spatial separation and cooking would be permitted adjacent to the tent. A NFPA 705 approved tent must have a visible tag stating that it complies with this requirement.
- A guard/barrier, no less than one meter in height, must be provided to act as a barrier between the public and cooking appliances. This wouldn't apply if the cooking appliances are located within an enclosed unit.
- All deep fryers must be approved commercial appliances. Residential grade deep fryers won't be accepted.
- A fire extinguisher with a minimum 2A10BC rating must be approved and mounted in an acceptable location
- A type K fire extinguisher must be provided for all deep frying and/or hot oil cooking
- The extinguishers are required to be inspected annually by an approved agency. The cylinder must be pressurized and the safety pin must be in secured in place. Service tags must be visible.
- Enclosed cooking units, creating grease laden vapors, require a kitchen canopy and automatic suppression system conforming to NFPA 96. The fixed suppression system shall be serviced bi-annually by an approved technician.
- Kitchen canopy has been cleaned from filter to fan in conformance with NFPA 96 requirements
- A three-meter spatial separation shall be provided between an adjacent vendor/ignition source and the relief valves located on a propane cylinder
- All spare propane bottles (full or empty) must be secured three meters from any cooking appliances or open flame
- All propane connections must be soap tested in conformance with BC Gas Code requirements each time the vehicle is moved to ensure there are no leaks. A leak test log book is required.
- Wood burning appliances are prohibited within Kelowna
- Cooking appliances and mobile vendors must be located a minimum of three meters from any building
- All mobile vendors with trailers must provide wheel chocks to prevent trailer movement
- Electrical equipment shall be used and maintained as to not constitute an undue fire hazard
- Any alterations or modifications to a previously accepted cooking configuration must be re-inspected
- Random inspections may be conducted. Ensure your inspection decal is current and available for viewing.
- All Mobile Food Vendors can print the Self Evaluation Form before making an appointment for inspection.
If you have any questions pertaining to the Fire Department requirements, please contact the Fire Prevention Officer at 250-469-8801. Kelowna Fire Department, Station 1, 2255 Enterprise Way, Kelowna BC V1Y 8B8
Approval within one municipal jurisdiction doesn't constitute approval within another municipality.