Drinking water

Home / City Services / Water & wastewater / Drinking water

The City water utility is one of four major water providers operating within municipal boundaries. We serve approximately 60,000 customers from the Poplar Point, Eldorado and Cedar Creek Pump Stations, and the Swick Road system provides water to approximately 300 customers.

As of June 4, 2018, the City of Kelowna will own and operate the South East Kelowna Irrigation District (SEKID). SEKID customers will receive City water by 2021 as part of Phase 1 - Kelowna Integrated Water Project. During the transition, Southeast Kelowna water customers can also visit sekid.ca for current customer information.

Integrated Water Project Phase 1 Info 

Our water utility plans and implements Source to Tap protection for drinking water and uses a multi-barrier approach to ensure high quality water for all users. Ultra-Violet and Chlorine disinfection is used at Okanagan Lake water intakes in alignment with Interior Health standard. 

Find your water provider 

Water quality

During the construction phase of the SEKID water integration project, new connections will be placed on a Water Quality Advisory (WQA) until further notice. The City is testing water quality and will provide an update as to when it is safe to lift the advisory.

There can be Water Quality Advisories and Boil Water Notices in place throughout the Central Okanagan at any given time. Check with your water service provider for the most up-to-date information.

Subscribe to updates

City Utility customers can receive automatic email updates on water quality by signing-up for Water Notices - Kelowna Utility.

Commitment to quality

The raw water source is Okanagan Lake. UV transmitters installed at three lake intakes and one located in the Kettle Valley sub-division enhance primary chlorine disinfection. Ultraviolet light treatment is effective in inactivating certain parasites such as Giardia and Cryptosporidia that can be present in source water.

Committed to protecting public, environmental and economic health, the utility has adopted a source-to-tap water management approach that includes watershed protection, water quality monitoring, treatment, distribution system maintenance, cross-connection control and water-use efficiency.

Dedicated to providing quality drinking water, the Water Division’s primary goals are to:

  • ensure the potable water supply meets existing and future domestic, agricultural, industrial, commercial, and fire-protection requirements
  • ensure City-supplied water meets Canadian Drinking Water Quality Guidelines and provincial Safe Drinking Water Regulations
  • promote water-use efficiency through metering and ongoing public education via the Water Smart Program
  • implement a comprehensive Cross Connection Control Program to protect the quality of water in the distribution system
  • incorporate the principles of risk management into all utility functions to minimize potential water quality events and water supply interruptions
  • provide utility customers with value for service through efficient and effective use of resources and program management
  • establish long-term infrastructure improvement programs. 

Water Bylaw

The Water Regulation Bylaw sets out the rates charged for use of our water system. Provisions are made for consumption charges for both residential and commercial based on the quantity of water used.

If you have questions about Utility Billing, or think you may have a leak, check the Utility Billing Frequently Asked Questions for more information.

Groundwater Well Bylaw

Under the new Well Regulation Bylaw, all well owners must confirm with the City whether they plan to either: formally decommission their well to be connected to the City Water Utility; continue to use their well for irrigation; or continue to use their well for domestic purposes. The City will assist owners with determining next steps. Particularly property owners within the former SEKID area are asked to contact the City to confirm if a water well exists on their property.

To self-report your property’s water well status, please complete the Groundwater Well Use Declaration Form and submit to the Water Integration Office at integratedwater@kelowna.ca

Water infrastructure

The City water system  delivers over 90 million litres of water per day and requires over 400km of pipes, 57 water pump stations, 4 treatment stations and 24 reservoirs to support water delivery. Maintaining these infrastructure assets requires careful monitoring and planning to ensure that the condition meets the continued water demand now and in the future. The City conducts yearly evaluation the status of our water infrastructure and provides updates as part of our Asset Management plan.

Water Turn-Off and Turn-On Requests

Please note that there is a $25 fee that will be applied for each water turn-off/turn-0n request. 

All residential and commercial buildings are equipped with a main water turn-off valve that is located at the water meter. This valve can be turned off and back on at any time without the use of any special tools and does not require that you notify the City Water Utility in advance.

Emergency water turn-off requests

After-hour emergency requests can be called in to 250-469-8600.

Water Turn-Off Requests

If you require work to be done on the water line between a water turn-off valve at the meter and the curb stop at the street, you may submit an online Service Request to have City Utility staff come out on-site and turn off the water supply. Alternatively, you may call 250-469-8501  (Monday to Friday from 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.).

The request must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance of when you anticipate the work being done in order to allow our staff sufficient time to service the site. In the event there is a water line break noted between the curb stop and the main water shut-off valve in the house and is deemed an emergency, please notify us immediately at 250-469-8501.

Water Turn-On Requests

Turn-on requests should be submitted through the online Service Request system with a minimum of 24 hours advance notice of when service restoration is required. Alternatively, you may call 250-469-8501  (Monday to Friday from 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.).