Heritage development

The following tools and programs are used for the protection and restoration of heritage properties in Kelowna:

  • Heritage Conservation Area: The Abbott Street and Marshall Street Conservation Areas are unique neighbourhoods in Kelowna, and Heritage Alteration Permits are required for construction or building alterations in these areas. Find out what your property is identified as, and what the Design Guidelines are for redevelopment or renovation. Most changes to your home will require a Heritage Alteration Permit.
  • Heritage Revitalization Agreement: Allows owners of heritage buildings to vary some development-related requirements and provides longer term heritage protection of the property. Read more about the Adaptive Re-Use Guidelines that evaluate whether a Heritage Revitalization Agreement is appropriate.
  • Heritage Designation Bylaw: A Heritage Designation Bylaw can be used to secure long term protection of a heritage asset. 
  • Heritage Register: A property on the Heritage Register is recognized as having heritage value within the City, and has access to grants and incentives for heritage restoration.
  • Heritage Grants Program: Grants are available for exterior conservation work of heritage buildings with a Heritage Designation or listed on the Kelowna Heritage Register.

You can find more details about the background and purpose of these heritage management tools on our heritage planning initiatives page.

If your property is within a Heritage Conservation Area or is listed on the Heritage Register, you may apply for a Heritage Revitalization Agreement or a Heritage Designation Bylaw. To apply, complete the relevant application package and submit with payment to the Application Centre on the 2nd floor of City Hall.

For development within a Heritage Conservation Area, check out the additional information below.

Abbott Street & Marshall Street Heritage Conservation Areas

Designated under the Official Community Plan, the objectives of the Abbott Street & Marshall Street Heritage Conservation Areas are to:

  • Maintain the residential and historical character
  • Encourage new development, additions and renovations to be compatible with the form and character of the existing context
  • Ensure that changes to buildings and streetscapes happen in ways that offer continuity of 'sense-of-place' for neighbours and the broader community
  • Provide historical interest for visitors through context sensitive development
Is my property in a Heritage Conservation Area?

Check out our Map Viewer to see if your property is within one of the Heritage Conservation Areas.

What can I do with my property?

The Heritage Conservation Area allows for change and development that complements the established streetscape and maintains the integrity of traditional architectural forms. Property owners within a Heritage Conservation Area must apply for and be issued a Heritage Alteration Permit before:

  • Subdividing a property
  • Constructing a new building
  • Building an addition to an existing building
  • Altering an existing building or land
  • Demolishing a building
What is a Heritage Alteration Permit?

A Heritage Alteration Permit (HAP) is an approval issued by the City to allow changes to a heritage property. When a Building Permit is also required, the HAP must be obtained before the Building Permit can be issued. Unless the property is a protected heritage property, an HAP is not required for general building maintenance.

You can view the guidelines for an HAP within the Abbott Marshall Conservation Area Design Guidelines.

How do I know what changes are appropriate for my property?

Heritage Alteration Permits are considered based on the Heritage Conservation Area Guidelines and the Abbott Street & Marshall Street Areas Development Guidelines. The Guidelines provide for the enhancement of the character of these areas by managing change that complements the established streetscape and maintains the integrity of the form and character. Items addressed in the Guidelines include placement and form of buildings, window styles, and exterior finishes.

Dominant patterns and key elements of other buildings on your block should be used as the general basis for designing a new house or alterations to an existing house. Established styles and patterns inform appropriate scale, massing and streetscape relationships.

How do I apply for a Heritage Alteration Permit?

For development within one of the Heritage Conservation Areas, complete the  Residential Development  application package.

Applications can be submitted with payment to the Application Centre on the 2nd floor of City Hall.

Some applications will need to be reviewed by the Heritage Advisory Committee prior to being reviewed by staff and/or Council. Learn more here.

What is the Heritage Advisory Committee?

The Heritage Advisory Committee is a Council appointed committee that helps to review and provide advice on applications within the Heritage Conservation Area, for properties that are Heritage Designated, and for other types of Heritage Development. Learn more here.