Work at the election
2022 Election Workers
The application process for hiring election workers has closed. Thank you to everyone for your interest and taking the time to apply. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Presiding Election Official (PEO) – prior election experience required. In this role you manage the voting location, including staff, and are responsible for the integrity of the voting machine and ballots. You report to the Chief Election Officer and prepare the ballot account summary. Shifts are 7 am to 9:30 pm. Daily rate of pay is $475.
Assistant Presiding Election Official (APEO) – prior election experience required. In this role you support the various election officials, register non-resident property electors and look after ballot accounting. You also monitor voter lines, direct voters as needed and provide instructions on how to use the voting machine. Shifts are 7 am to 9:30 pm. Daily rate of pay is $370.
Election Official (EO) – NO prior election experience required. In this role you help set up the voting location, register voters and distribute ballots. You also help clean up the voting location (such as removing posters, signage, moving tables and chairs). Shifts are 7:30 am to 8:30 pm. Daily rate of pay is $265.
Please note the gross pay is subject to basic Canada Revenue Agency payroll deductions.
To work the election, you must:
- Be 18 years of age or older.
- Legally able to work in Canada.
- Attend a mandatory training session in September (dates TBD). Pay for this training session is included in the daily rates of pay above.
- Be available to work a full shift and remain on site at all times.
- As a condition of working any local government election, all election workers are required to make a solemn declaration that they will faithfully and impartially fulfill their duties, and that they are not personally connected with any candidate in the election.