Property tax FAQs

City Hall is located at 1435 Water Street, Kelowna BC V1Y 1J4.  Our hours of operation are 8am to 4pm, Monday to Friday (excluding statutory holidays).

The following list of frequently asked questions (FAQ) is meant to provide answers to commonly asked questions. For more information sent direct to your inbox, sign up for property tax e-updates.

Sign up for e-updates

Appeals & penalties
Are penalties discretionary?

No.  Penalties are mandated by Provincial legislation and are not discretionary.  

Can I appeal my taxes?

No, you cannot appeal your taxes, but you can appeal your assessment.  Contact BC Assessment at 1-866-825-8322 or visit their website.

What is the penalty for paying taxes late?

A 5% late payment penalty is levied on taxes outstanding after the first working day after July 1. An additional 5% late payment penalty is levied on taxes outstanding after the first working day after the civic holiday in August.

Why is the grant amount subject to penalties?

You can reduce your taxes owing by claiming the home owner grant if you are eligible. The home owner grant is a form of payment, therefore, until you claim the grant it is considered outstanding taxes and is subject to penalties.

Can I determine what I owe on my property tax from the website?

Access your City of Kelowna bills in one convenient location. You will need to first register and create an Online Billing account before accessing your bills:

  1. Visit after you have received your Property Tax Notice in the mail.
  2. Click on Online Billing. You will be redirected to a new webpage.
  3. Click on the Register Now hyperlink.
  4. Complete your Profile Registration and click Continue when done.
  5. Check your email for a confirmation and follow instructions received.
  6. Login to your Online Billing account.
  7. Click on Add Account.
  8. Click on Register a Tax Account.
  9. Enter your folio number and access code. These can be found on your mailed Property Tax Notice. Your access code is unique to you.
  10. Want to go paperless and receive next year’s Property Tax Notice by email? Select yes for eBilling!
  11. Click Register. You can now access your property tax details, including account balance, assessment information, claim your Home Owner Grant and view your bill online. You can also add your City Water Utility account if you receive water from the City.


Can I estimate what my property tax bill will be from the website?

To estimate your Property Tax Bill online logon to  Property Tax Estimator

What am I paying for with my property tax payment?

Property taxation is the most important single source of municipal revenue.  For more information on where your property tax money is spent, view the  City of Kelowna Budget  and/or the  Annual Funding Cycle

Why are Kelowna residents paying for some Regional District taxes?

The City of Kelowna and some of the neighbouring local governments share the costs of some "region wide" services.  Examples of region-wide services are: police and fire protection, street lighting, road and drainage maintenance, operations of regional parks, and recreational facilities. 

Why do I pay a School Tax?

All property owners in the province are required to pay school taxes, unless the property is used for an exempt purpose and is  exempt  from this taxation. The school tax is not based on the property owner's use of the school system.  It is a suitable way to pay for part of public education costs given everyone benefits from a good school system.

What is the tax rate for each class of property?

For a detailed breakdown of the different tax types in Kelowna (e.g. residential, industrial, business), check out the Property class tax rates .

Change of address
My mailing address has changed. Will you change my address so that future tax notices are mailed to my new address?

Notify  BC Assessment  directly to change your mailing address. Visit  BC Assessment Change of Address Notification , call 1-866-825-8322 or mail to:

    300-1631 Dickson Ave, Kelowna BC, V1Y 8H2.

    You will need your folio number, assessment area number and jurisdiction area number in order to make an address change.

    • Folio number: This number can be found on your property tax notice. However, if you do not have your tax notice handy, the folio number can also be found using our  Property Tax and Assessment Query  online service tool (Folio is referred to as Roll). 
    • Assessment area: 19
    • Jurisdiction: If your folio number is five digits or less (e.g. roll 8500) then your jurisdiction number is 214. If your folio number is greater than five digits (e.g. roll 12051228) then your jurisdiction number is 217.
    • If submitting in writing: Include the folio number of the property, previous mailing address, new mailing address, your printed name and signature.

    Important:  This refers to change in mailing address only.  If a taxpayer no longer owns a specific property, the change in ownership will be picked up when BC Assessment is provided information from the Land Titles office.

    Note:  BC Assessment will register an address change in the City of Kelowna's property tax system weekly.

    I just got a tax notice for a house I sold. What should I do?

    If possible, please give it to the new owner, or return to us with a note that you sold the property. 

    What are my payment options?

    Please view our Payment Options page for more details.

    Can I pay by credit card?

    No, we do not accept credit card payments; however, we do accept cheques from credit card companies.  City Hall cashiers accept debit cards, money orders and cheques (current or post-dated to the appropriate due date) and cash.

    Can I pay my taxes and claim my home owner grant online?

    Yes, if available, you can pay your taxes using your financial institution's online banking. Make payment to your property folio number.  For instructions on setting the City of Kelowna up as an online bill payment, please view the  Online Services Guide .  

    To claim your home owner grant online, log onto Online Billing.  You will need to know your folio number and your access code; both are located on your property tax notice. 

    Important:  To avoid a penalty, an owner should apply for the grant with the City of Kelowna prior to the tax due date. It is important to do this even if you are not paying taxes at that time or your financial institution pays the taxes on your behalf. 

    Can I pay my taxes using a post-dated cheque?

    The City of Kelowna is able to accept a post-dated cheque payment. In order to avoid any penalty on outstanding taxes, your cheque should not be post-dated beyond the initial due date.  The initial due date is the first working day after July 1st.  After this date, current outstanding taxes are subject to a 5% penalty. 

    After the first working day after the August civic holiday, current outstanding taxes are subject to an additional 5% penalty.  Check your tax notice for the exact dates involved each year. 

    Cheques that are not negotiable due to errors made by the payer will be considered returned cheques.  All returned cheques are subject to a City of Kelowna administrative fee, possible service fee from your bank, and a City of Kelowna late penalty if they are not replaced by the tax due date. 

    Important:  Due to high volume of post-dated cheques during tax season, City of Kelowna cannot pull any cheques for customers.  If customers wish to re-write a cheque, they can do so, and put a stop payment on the original.  If the original cheque is returned by the bank, our administrative fee is still applicable as well as a possible service fee from your bank. 

    How do I make my final June Pre-Authorized Withdrawal System (PAWS) payment?

    Property owners participating in PAWS are responsible for making the final payment in June.  You will not be able to authorize a final PAWS payment when claiming your Home Owner Grant.  You may find it most convenient to make the payment from home using  online or telephone banking through your financial institution. You can also mail a cheque or visit us at City Hall.  

    To find out more information, visit our Payment Options page

    I can only pay part of my taxes. What should I do?

    Claim your  home owner grant  online if applicable, or complete the home owner grant application attached to the bottom of your property tax notice and send it in with the partial payment.  You will receive a penalty on the outstanding balance, (first working day after July 1st - 5%, first working day after civic holiday in August - additional 5%). There will be no more charges until January 1st of the following year, so you have time to pay off the balance without further charges.   

    How is a partial payment applied to my account?

    Payments for taxes must be applied in the following:

    1. delinquent taxes, including interest, from past years;
    2. taxes in arrear, including interest, from the preceding year;
    3. a penalty added in the current year;
    4. current year taxes.
    If the bill for my property is not in my name, who pays the tax bill?

    If you recently purchased the property, you are responsible for the property taxes; therefore, you must pay the full amount on the bill and apply for the grant (if eligible) by the due date.  Legal representatives for buyers and sellers of property normally adjust the purchase/sale price to account for the property taxes that are the responsibility of either the buyer or seller. 

    If you are the new owner and are going to claim the home owner grant, you will need to provide a copy of your Form A Freehold Title Transfer showing your name on title. This Form A is found in the paperwork from the sale of the property, or from your legal representative.

    My bank pays my taxes. Should I send my home owner grant application to my financial institution?

    No, apply for the grant online or complete the application attached to the bottom of your tax notice and send to City Hall.  Your financial institution will send the payment portion separately. Please see  Home Owner Grant  for more information.     

    Important:  City of Kelowna is not responsible for errors made by financial institutions.  You will be charged a 5% penalty on the grant amount if the application form is not received at City Hall by the first penalty date in early July.  Check your tax notice for the exact date.  You will be charged an additional 5% penalty on the grant amount if the application form is not received at City Hall before the first working day after the civic holiday August. 

    My financial institution pays my taxes. Why do I still receive a tax bill?

    All property owners are notified of tax levies.  Keep the tax notice for your records. If you qualify for the home owner grant, be sure to claim it as the financial institution cannot claim the grant for you. 

    Myself and another person own the property and both of us received a tax notice. Do we both pay?

    If the tax folio number is the same, then you make one payment for one physical property. Each owner receives a bill for notification purposes only.  

    The owner who resides on the property should apply for the home owner grant online or use the tax notice with their name on it to claim the home owner grant, if eligible. 

    The property taxes were paid by the lawyer. What do I need to do?

    Ask your lawyer if you are responsible for applying for the home owner grant. If you are the new owner, you will need to attach a copy of the registered Form A Freehold Title Transfer form to the grant application. Please ensure that your grant application is at City Hall before the initial penalty date to avoid penalties. 

    BC Assessment
    How does BC Assessment assign a value to my house?

    BC Assessment is an independent, provincial crown corporation, accountable to the Government of BC. Their responsibility is to determine the market value of land and improvements and enter the values on the Assessment Roll.

    To determine what a property would sell for, an assessor takes into account any factors that might affect the property's value including:

    • age
    • condition
    • location
    • replacement cost
    • rental income
    • size
    • shape
    • sales of comparable properties in the area
    • topography

    BC Assessment's e-Value Assessments Comparison  application allows you to view and compare current assessments.