Register a complaint

Home / City Hall / Bylaw enforcement / Register a complaint

Complaints are accepted at City Hall in person, by telephone, in writing, by voice mail or online. All cases will be looked at on their own merits and reasonably dealt with. Any response will be appropriate to the scale of the offence.

Once a compliant has been made:

  1. A file is initiated once a complaint has been received (either online via our service request system or over the phone). Please include your name, address, phone number, relationship to the property or individual that you are making the complaint about, and the issue. This information is strictly confidential and will not be released to anyone without the informant’s consent, or if required in a court of law through due process.Anonymous complaints are not accepted. 
  2. Complaints are then classified according to the following priority system: 
    • Priority one: Health and safety
    • Priority two: City liability
    • Priority three: Nuisances
    • Priority four: Nominal infractions
  3. A bylaw officer will open an investigation in relation to the complaint made and prioritise it as per policy.
    • A documented history of repeat and persistent offenders will be taken into account when deciding response options as well as offence type, location, offender, history (number of calls, enforcement action), frequency of calls (day, date and time).
  4. The officer may issue:
    • A warning notice with directions to remedy the problem within a specified time frame, or issue a fine immediately, depending on the circumstances.
    • An order, which allows the City to remedy the contravention and bill the property owner for the cost.
  5. If it is determined that no contravention of the bylaws has taken place, the complainant may be advised that no further action is being taken. If a contravention is found, the property owner/occupier will be encouraged to voluntarily rectify the situation and the complainant will also be notified.
  6. Bylaw enforcement may contact you to appear as a witness if the matter goes to court.