Plan an outdoor event
Events are a great way to share, celebrate, honour, compete, or simply have fun while enjoying our beautiful community, parks and weather. Our Event Services Team is here to guide you through our permit process and provide expertise to host a safe and memorable event.
An outdoor event can be defined as an organized activity (community, sporting, cultural or other) occurring for a limited or fixed duration (ie. one-time or annual), held over one or more days, and available to the public.
An Outdoor Event Permit is required to host events on City property when:
- 350 or more people are expected to attend
- Access to City services is requested
- Any size event is held on City roadways
- A liquor permit is applied for on City property
- Over 1000 people attend an event on private property
- Event complexity as deemed by the Event Services Office
If your event includes any of the above, please complete an application and our Event Services Team will be in touch to learn more about your event.
'Casual Use' can be defined as informal activities such as birthday parties, staff luncheons, family reunions, and picnics. While park space cannot be reserved for these types of gatherings, users are welcome to animate the spaces following our Casual Use Guidelines.
- Gatherings of larger than 350 people require an Outdoor Event Permit
- Parks and public spaces cannot be used exclusively and are on a first-come, first-served basis. You cannot ask anyone to move.
- Tents must be weighted, as staking (ground penetration) is not permitted. Tents cannot be bigger than 10’x10’.
- Tying to infrastructure or trees is not permitted.
- Portable propane barbeques; which are CSA/ULC approved are acceptable in park space only and must be kept a minimum 1 meter away from the nearest structure. During high risk fire season, BBQ use may be restricted.
- Food can only be for attendees. Food service to the public is not permitted.
- Food trucks are not permitted to attend casual use activities.
- Inflatable play structures are not authorized for casual use.
- Amplified sound is strongly discouraged. Please respect other users of the area.
- Alcohol is not permitted.
- No smoking. All City of Kelowna parks and public spaces are smoke free.
- You are responsible for cleaning up any garbage or recycling generated from your gathering and removing it from the site.
- Any walkway or sidewalk use must follow rules of the road when crossing roadways and no marking of sidewalks or pathways is permitted.
- Location - When choosing a location, our Parks have varying amenities ranging from washrooms, portable washrooms, picnic tables, playgrounds, waterparks, sport fields, parking availability, etc. Please visit Parks and Beaches for photos and list of amenities at each location.
- Timing - Our Event Services Office supports over 160 events annually on our City's outdoor spaces. We recommend visiting our Event Calendar to determine availability in your park of choice. City Park and Waterfront Park are key event parks; ensure the park is available before planning your gathering.
The ‘Get Eventive!’ e-bulletin is designed to provide you with event-related news such as: highlights & updates, grant opportunities, logistical planning, event development and more.
Don’t miss out on this exciting information sharing opportunity! Click on the following link to subscribe: GET EVENTIVE!