Recreation programs & registration
View the Summer Activity & Program Guide
Click the barcode in the online guide to register online or call 250-469-8800 to register by phone.
Already know which summer program you're looking for?
Register ONLINE now
Ways to register:
1. Register online at rec.kelowna.ca
2. Register by phone at 250-469-8800
In-person registration is currently unavailable.
*Swim lessons are unavailable at this time as the Parkinson Recreation Centre Aquatic Centre remains closed.
Some programs, including aquatics, may be added as reopening plans progress this summer.
Sign up for our Active Living & Culture e-newsletter to have the latest recreation updates sent straight to your inbox.
Our Active Living & Culture team is excited to welcome you back for a new season of recreation programming, though it's certainly not business as usual! In solidarity with public health efforts across British Columbia in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, we ask that all recreation program participants read, understand, follow and respect the Safe Return to Recreation guidelines below.
- Hand sanitizer or handwashing facilities are available at all indoor and outdoor City facilities.
- Frequent handwashing will be promoted at our facilities, especially in kids programs and camps.
- Water fountains will not be available, please bring your own waterbottle.
- Stay home if you’re sick! Before visiting recreation facilities or attending programs, participants and staff are asked to do a self-check and stay home if experiencing any symptoms.
- Any participants displaying symptoms will be kindly asked to leave for the collective safety of everyone.
- High touch areas will be cleaned frequently.
- Disinfecting spray or wipes will be available at all programs and indoor spaces.
- Equipment will not be shared without proper cleaning in between.
- Extra time is scheduled between activities for cleaning.
- Come prepared to play as change room access will be limited.
- Larger or outdoor spaces may be used to ensure 2m (6 foot) distancing.
- Program capacities may be reduced based on the space and type of activity.
- Please do not arrive more than 5 minutes before your class/booking.
- Activities may be modified including a higher focus on individual vs. team play.
- Spectators are not permitted at indoor classes at this time.
- Facility modifications including increased signage, floor markings and barriers.
All outdoor spaces are now open for casual use including beaches, parks, playgrounds, waterparks, tennis courts, pickleball courts*, skate parks, and outdoor fitness equipment. Use the Parks & Beaches map to find an outdoor recreation space near you. To find information about booking a sportfield or outdoor space, see facility rentals.
Please remember to keep a physical distance of 2-metres (6 feet) from others and wash your hands before and after visiting any public space.
Latest update on recreation facility reopening plans (July 7, 2020):
Recreation facility reopening plans are currently underway. Fully reopening a complex facility such as Parkinson Recreation Centre needs to be done thoughtfully and progressively to ensure the safety of our staff, volunteers and patrons.
Phase 1: suspension of all programs and public access to facilities
In March 2020, City recreation programs were cancelled and recreation facilities including Parkinson Recreation Centre were closed to align with measures to help curb the spread of COVID-19.
Phase 2: limited outdoor casual use of sport courts and registered programs (current phase)
As of July 6, larger spaces at facilities such as Parkinson Recreation Centre have reopened for registered programs (pre-booked programs). This allows for consistent monitoring of room and facility capacities. General facility access including fitness centre and pool access is not yet available in this phase. To view our current available registered programs view the Summer Activity & Program Guide.
Phase 3: limited use of indoor spaces for registered programs and memberships
This phase will look at the reopening of facilities for those who hold memberships or are monthly pass holders. However, not all spaces and amenities are likely to reopen at this stage. Timing is still to be confirmed, however we are aiming for mid/late July if Provincial reopening guidelines and information from the Provincial Health Officer continues to align with local reopening plans.
Phase 4: return to 'new normal'
This phase will explore the return of drop-in opportunities and full facility access. Timing still to be determined.
Please check back for the latest updates about recreation facility reopenings.
The Summer Activity & Program Guide is being offered online only to allow for flexibility throughout the course of the summer (programs could be added, removed, or changed as needed). This pandemic is unpredictable, so we need to be adaptable and a printed guide simply does not allow for that. This includes the need to make adjustments and add programs as reopening plans progress or be ready to cancel programs if restrictions are elevated once again.
Also, with recreation facilities such as Parkinson Recreation Centre and H2O Aquatic & Fitness Centre remaining closed for general use at this time, our pick up 'hubs' are unavailable.
Follow these steps to register online:
- Ensure you have an active online account. Call 250-469-8800 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to set up your account ahead of registration day.
- Flip through the online guide and find the program you want to register for.
- Click on the 5-digit course ID number listed under the course description to go straight to the online registration portal.
- Sign in to your account.
- After logging in, you will be directed to the online course listing that you originally clicked on.
Click on the "REGISTER" button and follow the instructions to complete your registration.
If you have any questions about the registration process, please call 250-469-8800 to speak with a recreation clerk.
Yes. Please call 250-469-8800 between 8 a.m.- 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m.- 3:30 p.m., Monday to Friday or email email@example.com to withdraw yourself from a program. You can choose to be fully refunded or we can credit your account for a future program. The standard $5 withdrawal fee will be waived until further notice. Please note that refunds may take up to 4 weeks to process depending on method of payment.
Yes. All monthly memberships (excluding Access Passes) will automatically be put on hold and will be reactivated automatically upon reopening of the facility without any time lost. If customers would prefer to withdraw their memberships for a credit on account or partial refund, please call 250-469-8800 between 8 a.m.- 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m.- 3:30 p.m., Monday to Friday.
Many of these facilities including H20 Adventure + Fitness Centre and Kelowna Family YMCA have also suspended or modified their operations. Patrons are encouraged to check with third-party facilities directly for the latest updates.
First, make sure you have an online account.
Have you registered online for a City recreation program in the past? If so, you likely already have an account. You can activate it by going to the Create/Reset Password page and entering in your email. If you already have an account, a link will be sent to your inbox to reset your password.
If you receive an error message that the email is incorrect, you'll need to set up a new online account by calling Active Living & Culture at 250-469-8800, emailing firstname.lastname@example.org (note: new account set up requests via email may take a couple days to complete), or by visiting Parkinson Recreation Centre (1800 Parkinson Way).
There's two ways to browse and register for programs online:
- Find programs using the latest online guide.
Scroll through the latest online guide to find programs (link for the latest guide will be at the top of this webpage). Once you find one, simply click on the barcode to register! Sign in, then choose the person on your account that you would like to register in the program.
- Browse and register for programs in the online registration portal.
You can easily browse for programs and register through the online registration portal. Search by category, age group, or barcode and simply follow the instructions as you go!
Payment options include Visa Debit, Visa, Debit Mastercard and Mastercard. Please note that American Express and Debit are not accepted online.
Can't find what you're looking for? Check out our Recreation Programs and Registration Frequently Asked Questions.
Register by phone at 250-469-8800
Phone hours are Monday to Friday: 8 a.m. - 12 p.m. and 1 p.m. - 4 p.m.
During program registration week, phone lines will open at 7 a.m. - 12 p.m. and 1 p.m. - 3 p.m.
Please note that phone wait times are longer than usual on opening registration days.
If you receive a busy signal, all phone lines and hold lines are busy. Please hang up and try again.
Payment options include Visa Debit, Visa, Debit Mastercard, Mastercard or pre-arranged credit on account.
Please note our Summer guide will only be available online.
Generally, you can pick up the latest Activity & Program Guide at the following locations: Parkinson Recreation Centre, H2O Adventure & Fitness Centre, Main Library Downtown or at the Rutland Arena.
A new recreation guide is available each season:
- Summer Camp May 1, 2020 registration has been cancelled due to COVID-19 pandemic response measures and will now be included as part of summer general registration on June 9.
- Summer 2020 Activity Guide will be available online on June 5 (postponed from June 2), registration week is June 9-12
- Fall 2020 Activity Guide will be available online on August 11, registration week is August 18-21
- Winter 2021 Activity Guide will be available online on December 1, registration week is Dec 8-11
Sign up for Active Living & Culture e-updates to be notified when the latest guide is available.
Registration begins one week after the latest Activity & Program Guide is released. Registration is spread out over the week to help manage call volume and web traffic.
Tuesday - General Registration
Wednesday - Sports Leagues
Thursday - Summer Aquatic registration is cancelled until further notice
Friday - Programs for Persons with DiverseAbilities
Registration opens at 7 a.m.
Summer Camp May 1, 2020 registration has been cancelled due to COVID-19 pandemic response measures and will now be included as part of summer general registration.
The City of Kelowna supports over 40,000 families each year with our recreation opportunities coupons.
Please contact us directly for more information:
Please call 250-469-8759 for more information.
Access to Recreation Office (located in Parkinson Recreation Centre)
We understand that registering for your desired program is important. We are currently working to make improvements to ensure registration runs smoothly, especially during the week that registration opens each season. Many of our programs are in high demand which can create a high volume of web and phone traffic during registration week.
We evaluate registration each season and use your feedback to make improvements.
Some of the current improvements in progress include:
- Improving bandwidth and payment processing for online registration
- Maximizing the number of phone lines available and staff to assist on registration days
- Changing registration start time to 7 a.m. to better accommodate work and school schedules
- Staggering registration start dates for summer camps to better accommodate parents ability to plan ahead for summer and reduce demand on the system during registration days
Tips for customers
Remain online and keep your account open. The registration portal may move slower than usual during the first few hours of registration due to high web traffic. Please be patient or try again later in the day.
For first time customers, ensure you have an online recreation account set up in advance of registration week. You can set up an account by calling 250-469-8800, visiting Parkinson Recreation Centre at 1800 Parkinson Way or emailing email@example.com. Please note that new account set up requests via email may take several days to complete.
Registering by phone
If you receive a busy signal, all phone lines are busy. Please hang up and try again. This is rare and only occurs at peak registration.
If you’re not attempting to register for a high demand program, try calling or registering during a non-peak time, such as later in the afternoon or evening. Phone lines are open until 8 p.m. on weekdays and you can register online for programs 24/7. If you’re not sure if the program you’re interested in is high demand, please feel free to contact us the week prior to registration.
The City of Kelowna, Active Living & Culture Division is pleased to be able to assist with the delivery of service to seniors in the Kelowna area through its service delivery agreements with the Parkinson Senior Society, Rutland Senior Centre Society and the Okanagan Mission Senior Centre Society.
These agreements provide the societies access to three municipal recreation facilities from which they can offer a wide variety of recreational and educational programs to enhance their quality of life. The Active Living Program Guide for Older Adults is located online in the related documents below.