Active living for adults 50+
Active Living Guide for Older Adults
The Active Living Guide for Older Adults highlights seasonal programs and activities for those 50+ in Kelowna each season. We support the delivery of recreation and leisure services for seniors in the Kelowna area through service delivery agreements with three not-for-profit seniors societies listed below. These agreements provide the societies access to municipal recreation facilities from which they can offer a wide variety of recreational and educational programs to enhance their quality of life. The Active Living Program Guide for Adults 50+ is typically available each season for pick up at Parkinson Recreation Centre (1800 Parkinson Way) or at one of the centres listed below.
- PARKINSON SENIORS SOCIETY located at Parkinson Activity Centre (1700 Parkinson Way) – runs a wide variety of programs including yoga, painting, whist, fitness to music, bridge, bingo, tai chi, computer lessons, walking programs and more. Learn more at parkinsonseniors.com.
- RUTLAND SENIORS SOCIETY located at Rutland Activity Centre (765 Dodd Road) offers a wide variety of recreation and cultural programs including dancing, fitness, table tennis, carpet bowling, and pancake breakfasts. Learn more at rutlandseniors.com.
- OKANAGAN MISSION SENIORS SOCIETY operates out of the Okanagan Mission Activity Centre (4398 Hobson Road) with a variety of activities including card games such as bridge, crib or euchre.
Providing opportunities for everyone to get active and stay active is important to us, even when we're needing to stay at home. The following videos and workout guides are recommended by our community partners and Move for your Health instructors as safe exercise options and resources for older adults, including those with chronic health conditions such as arthritis, alzheimers and osteoporosis.
- ABCS (ability, balance, core and stretch) at-home exercise guide
- Alzheimers Society BC - we can help webinars
- Alzheimers Society BC - FirstLink Dementia Help Line
- Balance and stretching exercise tips and fitness videos
- Chair Yoga
- Keep Fit - a collection of exercise videos for older adults
- Stroke Recovery - virtual sessions
- Online Parkinsons fitness - live instruction!
Missing that social connection? Join in on our video chat workouts specifically tailored for those with Parkinsons Disease.
Each class will run from 1 - 1:45 p.m. and have both seated and standing exercises but participants can complete the whole workout in a chair if necessary. Simply click the link below at 1 p.m. on the day to join in.
A special thank you to our Move for your Health instructors and partner organizations for providing these online resources. If you enjoyed the fitness videos, make sure to check out future programs in the fitness & health section of Kelowna's Activity & Program Guide.
Move for your health programs
Move for your health programs, found each season in the latest Kelowna Activity & Program Guide, are designed to be a safe exercise option to support those with, or at risk of, chronic health conditions. Programs are led by professional fitness instructors with additional certification.
Not sure which activity is right for you? Allied Health’s (Interior Health Authority) navigator services provides direction and encouragement towards appropriate programming for you. The liaison therapist (navigator) is located at Parkinson Recreation Centre (1800 Parkinson Way). This free service is available for everyone.
Liaison therapist office hours
|Monday||2:00 p.m. -3:30 p.m.|
|Tuesday||2:00 p.m. -3:30 p.m.|
|Wednesday||2:00 p.m. -3:30 p.m.|
No appointments necessary, just walk in!
*Hours are subject to change
|1:00 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.|
HandyDART is an accessible, door-to-door shared transit service for people with permanent or temporary disabilities that prevent them from using fixed-route transit without assistance from another person. HandyDART picks you up at your accessible door and drops you off at the accessible door of your destination. Customers must first register, at no charge, for this program.
Monday to Friday: 9:15 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Saturday: 9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Sunday and Holidays: No Service
*Dialysis patients can book earlier times
Monday to Friday 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
The City of Kelowna supports over 40,000 families each year with our recreation opportunities coupons.
Please contact us directly for more information: 250-469-8759
Tuesday: 10:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Wednesday: 4:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Access to Recreation Office (located in Parkinson Recreation Centre)