Recreation frequently asked questions
If you believe you already have an account with Active Living & Culture, visit the Forgot your Password page at rec.kelowna.ca and enter your email address to request a password reset link. If your email is associated with an existing account, you’ll be able to reset your password and won’t need to call in to set up an account.
If you receive an error message or are unsure if you have an existing account, contact Active Living & Culture staff at 250-469-8800 or email email@example.com to set up an account. Remember to include your name, address, email and telephone number.
The following error message is received by some users when they’re trying to reset their password: "There is an error with your account. Please contact us directly for further details."
It could be for one of the following reasons:
- You’re currently an active pass holder at Parkinson Recreation Centre
- We didn’t have your email address on your previous client account
Click on the Forgot Password link on the Login page. Enter your email address and click send. If you have an existing account, you will receive and email with further directions.
If you receive an error message, you may not have an existing account, or a valid email is not associated with your account. Contact Active Living & Culture staff at 250-469-8800 or mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Registration begins one week after the latest Activity & Program Guide is released. Registration is spread out over the week to help manage call volume and web traffic.
Tuesday - General registration
Wednesday - Sports leagues
Thursday - Aquatic registration
Friday - Programs for persons with DiverseAbilities
Registration opens at 7 a.m.
You can register online for programs one of two ways:
1. Through the online registration portal:
- Visit kelowna.ca/recreation and click the button that says REGISTER ONLINE
- Once you’re in the online registration portal, you can login and browse programs
- Use the search bar to search by keyword (i.e. Yoga, Pickleball, Kick & Run) or browse by category using the Browse Programs feature
2. Through the online activity guide:
- Visit kelowna.ca/recreation to access the latest online Activity & Program Guide
- Once you find a program you would like to join, click on the four- or five-digit barcode listed alongside the program to go directly to the online registration portal
- If you haven’t logged in yet, you will need to login using the email linked to your account. If you haven’t set up a client account, follow the “New customers -setting up an online account” instructions at the top of this page, or call Active Living & Culture at 250-469-8800.
- Once you’ve logged in, you should reach the program detail page. Click SELECT USER to enrol either yourself or a family member in the class. Click BOOK.
- This will take you to your Cart. At this point, you may continue shopping or check out. Visa, Visa Debit, Mastercard, Debit Mastercard, American Express and Account Credits are accepted.
- Once you have entered your credit card information, be sure to print a receipt for your records. Receipts for online registrations won’t be mailed out by Active Living & Culture.
- After you have completed the above steps, select the Log-Out button near the top of the page. We recommend that you purposefully log out.
Tips when registering online
- Remain online and keep your account open. The registration portal may move slower than usual during the first few hours of registration due to high web traffic. Please be patient or try again later in the day.
- For first time customers, ensure you have an online recreation account set up in advance of registration week. You can set up an account by calling 250-469-8800, visiting Parkinson Recreation Centre at 1800 Parkinson Way or emailing email@example.com. Please note that new account set up requests via email may take several days to complete.
Register by phone at 250-469-8800
Phone hours are Monday - Friday: 8 a.m. - 8 p.m. and Saturday - Sunday: 9:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
During program registration week, phone lines will open at 7:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m.
Please note that phone wait times are longer than usual on opening registration days.
If you receive a busy signal, all phone lines and hold lines are busy. Please hang up and try again.
Payment options include Visa, Visa Debit, Debit Mastercard, Mastercard, American Express or pre-arranged credit on account.
Tips for registering by phone
If you receive a busy signal, all phone lines are busy. Please hang up and try again. This is rare and only occurs at peak registration.
If you’re not attempting to register for a high-demand program, try calling or registering during a non-peak time, such as later in the afternoon or evening. Phone lines are open until 8 p.m. on weekdays and you can register online for programs 24/7. If you’re not sure if the program you’re interested in is high demand, please feel free to contact us the week prior to registration.
If a program of interest has already started, you should still be able to register online at a pro-rated rate. If you’re unable to do so, the program may have been cancelled or already completed for the season. Please phone Active Living & Culture at 250-469-8800 for further assistance.
If you’re on a wait-list and receive a e-mail that there’s space available, a spot will be held for 24 hours only. On long weekends, this time will be extended until the first business day after the holiday.
The guide is available online only at this time. Hard copies are unavailable until further notice due to the need to be able to update and adapt program listings in response to the latest COVID-19 safety measures.
The Active Living Guide for Older Adults highlights seasonal programs and activities for those 50+ in Kelowna each season. The City of Kelowna, Active Living & Culture Division is pleased to be able to assist with the delivery of service to seniors in the Kelowna area through its service delivery agreements with the Parkinson Senior Society, Rutland Senior Centre Society and the Okanagan Mission Senior Centre Society.
These agreements provide the societies access to three municipal recreation facilities from which they can offer a wide variety of recreational and educational programs to enhance their quality of life.
Go to online registration and LOG IN. Once you have successfully signed in, click on your name. From the drop-down menu, click on My Courses. The My Courses page will contain the names of all of your family members. Click on the family member to view current programs they’re enrolled in.
Instructors are aware of the development needs of children and tailor specific classes to meet these needs. Allowing children that don’t meet the requirements into programs could potentially cause distractions and lower the quality of the program for all participants. However, some exceptions may apply. Call Active Living & Culture at 250-469-8800 to see if your situation is applicable.
If you’re registering for a family member who is within the age range for the course, you need to click SELECT USER. Once the correct family member is selected, the alert should disappear. The account holder is automatically selected as the default customer. If you accidentally register the wrong family member for the course, call Active Living and Culture at 250-469-8800 for assistance.
The class isn’t available for online registration at this time. There are several possible reasons for this:
- Online registration may not be available for this course (i.e. slo-pitch, private swim lessons). Call 250-469-8800 or visit the Parkinson Recreation Centre to register.
- Registration may not yet have begun
- The course may be full, have already started or have been cancelled. If the course has already started, you must register by phone at 250-469-8800 or in person at the Parkinson Recreation Centre.
A Drop-In program is one that you may attend without pre-registering. It can be accessed by paying a drop-in fee just prior to the start of the class, if space is available.
Programs are dependent on instructor availability and program demand.
Some programs won’t be available through this registration system because of complex registration procedures and the need for additional information. These programs include some aquatic lessons, specialty programs, some sports leagues and other selected programs. If the BOOK button isn’t available, the course is restricted from online registration.
Some local sport programs are managed separately from the City's recreation program. However, the City does offer some sports leagues throughout the year including slo-pitch, volleyball (indoor and beach), basketball (indoor and outdoor), netball and a variety of register and play sports such as indoor soccer and hockey! Individual and team sign up available for most City sports leagues.
Visit the Recreation programs & registration page and click on the latest Activity & Program Guide for more details.
Our old registration system called Rec-Connect was in place for over 20 years. With evolving program offerings and pass types though Active Living & Culture, our programs and services outgrew the functionality of the registration system. The new software provides more flexibility and functionality moving forward to ensure ease-of-use for online registration.
The IntelliLeisure™ software was selected following a thorough procurement process for its ability to support current and future needs of Kelowna’s residents. The program provides more versatility, better navigation and seamless integration with the new website. The new online registration software supports our efforts to ensure an active and inclusive city and is also adaptable to incorporate technological advancements in the future.
With the previous software, you needed a six-digit Client Account number and six-digit PIN to login - simply more numbers to memorize. Luckily, this is no longer the case. Login is now simplified by using the email associated with your account to Log In. The new system is user friendly across digital platforms including tablets and mobile devices. Finding programs suitable for the whole family is easier than ever, with simplified navigation using the browse programs function, plus even more added benefits coming soon!
While Rec-Connect no longer exists, customers who registered in a program in Spring or Summer 2017 (excluding team or corporate accounts) as well as current pass holders at Parkinson Recreation Centre had their account information transferred over.
If you believe your account has been carried over, visit the login page and click the Forgot your Password link. If your email is associated with an existing account, you will be able to reset your password and won’t need to call in to set up an account. If you receive an error message or are unsure if you have an existing account, contact Active Living & Culture staff at 250-469-8800 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your name, address, email and telephone number.