Film & drone use
From sandy beaches and lakefront patios to rocky trails and snowcapped mountains, Kelowna's landscape is perfect for photography or filming in any season.
Located in the heart of the Okanagan Valley, Kelowna is a short drive from larger metropolitans such as Vancouver and Calgary and is easily accessible via the Kelowna International Airport (YLW) through a variety of domestic and international flights.
The film industry is quickly growing in Kelowna and area. The Okanagan Film Commission offers many services such as Location Library, Production and Crew Directory, and Okanagan Studio Directory; as well as extensive knowledge in the film industry.
Creative BC is another valuable resource that provides a strategic and integrated approach to growth and development of the province's creative industries. The City supports Creative BC's approach to local filming and welcomes the opportunities it brings to our community.
The City of Kelowna offers 2 types of permits for anyone interested in using City property for their film project:
A Film Permit is required for any film shoot requesting use of City properties, including parks, facilities, roadways, sidewalks, and other locations as identified.
Permit requirements include:
- Completed Application
- Schedule of shoots
- Location Maps and requirements
- Event Insurance
- Prime Contractor Agreement
- Damage Deposit
- Applicable fees such as application fees, site rental fees, additional fees such as parking, RCMP, city staffing, etc.
- Additional requirements are assessed through the permit process and assigned as necessary.
Please contact our Event Services Team at firstname.lastname@example.org for an application.
A Drone Permit is required for any drone flight or operation on City of Kelowna property including parks, facilities, roadways and sidewalks and other locations as identified.
Only commercial operators can be approved for drone usage. Recreational drone operation is not permitted on city property.
Permit Requirements include:
- Completed Application
- City of Kelowna Business License
- Minimum $2 Million Liability Insurance on a City of Kelowna Certificate
- Copy of Pilot License
- Copy of Drone Certification of Registration
- Site Survey
- Special Flight Operations Certificate (required when flying outside of advanced license regulations)
- If flying for an event, email confirmation from the event organizer
- Applicable fees such as application fees, site rental fees, additional fees as required
Completed applications can be submitted to email@example.com. For more information, please visit canada.ca/drone-safety
Kelowna is surrounded by beautiful provincial parks, and if you are interested in filming in one of these parks you can visit Government of British Columbia Natural Resource Online Services to learn more about obtaining a Commercial Filming Permit.