Tourist-oriented destination signs
Clear and consistent Tourist Oriented Destination Signs (TODS) help visitors and residents get to major attractions within the city. The TODS policy has been designed to ensure there are clear and consistent direction signs in order to optimise business success, reduce driver confusion and minimize sign clutter on our roadways.
- Ensure clear wayfinding for tourists in order to optimise business success and present tourists with clear and consistent directional signage
- Set eligibility criteria for tourist attraction operators
- Formalize the application process to qualified tourist attraction operators
- Minimize sign proliferation on city roadways, in order to maintain safety and to avoid driver confusion at all times
- Recover sign manufacturing, installation, maintenance and administration costs
- Integrate with the current provincial signage program
How to apply for signs
- Read the TODS policy and determine if your business is eligible for signage. There is a basic criteria that your business must meet. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Complying with all federal, provincial and municipal regulations
- Maintaining a valid business licence
- Being open to the general public and serving tourists
- Being accessible by public roads
- Having regular, stated hours of operation
- Being open at least five days per week, for a minimum of 12 consecutive weeks per year
- If you’re eligible, an application can be filled out and submitted to the Traffic Operations Department, located at the City Works Yard, via mail or in-person. If you’re not sure if you qualify, you can e-mail us for assistance.
- If you’re eligible and have completed the application, you will need to submit the $100 application fee
- Your application will be reviewed and you will be contacted for clarification and/or to review sign locations
- You will be provided with a quote for the signs ($180 per sign, plus applicable taxes). The sign fee includes sign location, sign manufacturing, utility locates, labour to install and hardware. Fees can be paid by MasterCard, Visa, debit, cash or cheque at City Works Yard. If you’re sending your application through the mail, please only include cheques and no cash.
- Once you pay the fee, we will manufacture and install the signs