The sweepers clean an approximate total of 1,600 lane kilometres, including bike lanes.
Below are some useful tips to allow for a clean sweep of debris:
- Watch for signage to remove vehicles, basketball hoops or other items that may impede the street sweeper from cleaning debris from gutters.
- Sweep sand and debris from sidewalks and boulevards into the gutters.
If street sweeping and waste pick up fall on the same day, residents can place waste bins at the end of driveways instead, as long as the waste bins are placed within reach of the collector trucks and there is sufficient space on either side of the bins. This will help to ensure a better quality street cleaning as sweepers will no longer need to maneuver around waste bins placed along curbs.
Route street sweeping program
The street sweep program is broken down into five different routes. Routes are not labeled in priorty order.
- Route 1 consists of streets with curb and gutter. These streets are swept two times per year.
- Route 2 consists of streets or roads with gravel shoulders. These streets are swept once per year.
- Route 3 consists of bike paths and lanes. This route receives sweeping ten times per year.
- Route 4 are the business areas which include South Pandosy, Rutland and the downtown core. These areas are swept twice per week.
- Route 5 is a monthly area sweep which consists of Highway 97 and 33.
- Paved back-alleys are swept once per year.
This is in addition to the annual spring sweep.
Spring sweeping program
Weather permitting, spring sweeping is scheduled to begin in late March to clean up winter sand and dirt. Sweeping can only take place when the temperatures are consistently above zero. Some areas may require multiple passes by the sweeper to ensure all debris are cleared.
Signage will be placed at least twenty-four hours before the area is scheduled to be swept. Signs may be up longer depending on weather and available sweepers. In the event the area has obstacles that prevent the sweepers from reaching the curb (such as waste bins), the sweeper may return at a later date.
All roads in the City's maintenance area will be swept and flushed by mid-May during the spring sweep, weather permitting.
Bike lane sweeping
Bike lanes are swept in conjunction with the roads.