Any person owning or operating a business within the City of Kelowna must obtain an annual Business Licence to be prominently displayed in their place of business. This applies to all retail and commercial establishments, management and professional firms, home businesses, bed and breakfasts and taxi cab companies.
Fees vary according to the business category up to a maximum of $3,000.
For new licences, and to make changes to an existing licence, contact 250-469-8960.
Business licences can be renewed online, using your Visa or MasterCard, when there are no changes to an existing license.
Mobile Business Licence Program
In partnership with the Provincial Ministry of Small Business and Revenue, we have entered into a Mobile Business Licence Program, with this program a business will only have to obtain one additional business licence to do business in another participating community.
A Mobile Business Licence is available for an additional annual fee of $150.
A mobile business is a business that performs a service in more than one of the participating communities and is mobile, which means they provide services or do business by moving from client to client and the business does not have a storefront or location other than in their home or principal municipality. The principal municipality is the community in which the business has its location, shop, office or home base. A mobile business includes contractors of all types such as trades people, landscaping services, janitorial services, pest control, etc. It also includes other types of mobile service providers such as massage therapists, mechanics, photographers, hairdressers, etc. A mobile business does not include businesses selling goods or services from a fixed or semi-fixed location such as fruit stand/truck, mobile stores, flea markets, horse drawn carriage rides, carnivals, concession stand or trade shows.
All mobile businesses are eligible for an Inter-Community Mobile Business Licence, except certain types of businesses such as escort agencies, body rub services and vehicles for hire such as taxis, limousines and buses. These business types require a separate business licence for each municpality in which they operate.
- City of Armstrong
- Regional District of Central Okanagan
- District of Coldstream
- City of Enderby
- City of Kelowna
- Village of Keremeos
- District of Lake Country
- Village of Lumby
- Town of Oliver
- Town of Osoyoos
- District of Peachland
- City of Penticton
- Town of Princeton
- City of Salmon Arm
- District of Sicamous
- Township of Spallumcheen
- District of Summerland
- City of Vernon
- City of West Kelowna
- Businesses that are not mobile businesses, or are not eligible for an Inter-Community Mobile Business Licence must obtain a business licence in each municipality in which they do business, operate or provide services.
- A business that is eligible for an Inter-Community Mobile Business Licence MUST still obtain a regular business licence (principal business licence) from the municipality in which they are located.
- In addition to the principal business licence, a mobile business may obtain one additional Inter-Community Mobile Business Licence to do business in all other participating municpalities.
- An eligible non-resident business or a business that does not have a business location in any of the participating municipalities, may obtain a standard business licence from any one of the participating municipalities and may then apply for an Inter-Community Mobile Business Licence.
- The cost of an Inter-Community Mobile Business Licence is $150.00. Fees are not prorated.
- An Inter-Community Mobile Business Licence is valid for the same term as the standard business licence issued from the principal municipality.
- A business holding an Inter-Community Mobile Business Licence must comply with all of the Bylaws and Regulations of each municipality in which they operate.
- Implementation of the Mobile Business Licence Program began January 1st, 2008.
We encourage small and medium sized businesses with a commercial FortisBC account to contact FortisBC as you may be eligible to receive a free energy efficiency assessment through the Business Energy Advisor program, an initiative funded by FortisBC. An energy advisor can identify ways that your business can take advantage of available FortisBC incentives to implement energy efficiency solutions that will help you save money on your electricity and/or gas bills. To find out more and to determine eligibility visit FortisBC’s Business Energy Advisor program or contact FortisBC Smart Business Help Desk at 1-855-857-7411.