Teen Honour in the Arts Award
- Awarded to a youth who has made an outstanding contribution to Kelowna through cultural and/or artistic efforts.
- Must be between the ages of 13 and 19 as of Dec. 31, 2015.
- Selections are based on the nominee's special accomplishments, contributions and awards for the year 2015.
- Past information may be included, but should primarily be regarding the current award year.
- Finalist selections are based solely on the information in the completed nomination package.
Nominate a deserving youth for the Teen Honour in the Arts award.online nomination / pdf nomination
2015 Teen Honour in the Arts Award Recipient
When Lauren puts on her “poodle socks” and ghillies and starts doing beats, cuts, overs, lifts and sevens, judges take notice. Lauren is a championship Irish dancer and in March 2015, represented Kelowna at the World Irish Dance Competition. She also competed in the North American Irish Dance Championships in July and the Western Canadian championships in November. Regionally, Lauren placed third in the Open Championship, winning the Slip Jig and placing second in the Treble Reel and third in the National Set.
Lauren began dancing at the Blakey School of Irish dance at the age of seven and is now an assistant dance teacher there as well. She volunteered at the Western Canadian Irish Dance Championships and performed at many local events including the Okanagan Military Tattoo and St. Patrick’s Day in senior care homes throughout the Okanagan.
Lauren also competes for both the KSS track and field team and the Okanagan Athletics Club. In June, she was awarded Most Improved Female Athlete on the KSS team.
This summer, she has been invited back to the renowned Studio to Stage program for Irish Dancers in New Jersey.
Past Recipients of the Award
2015 - Lauren Maier
2014 - Antony Knight
2013 - Mandy Jong
2012 - Quinn Bates
2011 - Hayley Manlove
2010 - Grace Kim
2009 - Haley Blais
2008 - Evan Kascak
2007 - Chad Abrahamson
2006 - Melissa Wilmot
2005 - Carmen Harris
2004 - Joshua Ferguson
2003 - Devin Roth
2002 - Mitchell Howanyk
2001 - Greg Sawisky
2000 - Meaghan McRae
Award Sponsored By