Dr. Walter Frederick Anderson
Dr. Walter Anderson was a doctor in Kelowna for 42 years, from 1938 to 1980, and was heavily involved in community service.
Born in Nova Scotia, Dr. Anderson moved to Kelowna to set up practice with Dr. A.S. Underhill. With the two new arrivals, Kelowna boasted a total of seven doctors.
Dr. Anderson served as Medical Officer with the BC Dragoons during WWII. He helped raise funds for the Kelowna Memorial Arena and the Kelowna Community Theatre, served as president of the Kelowna Aquatic Association from 1946 to 1949, and was Commodore of the Kelowna Regatta in 1975. He was also active with the Okanagan Historical Society. A leader in local medical affairs, Dr. Anderson was president of the Kelowna Medical Society, the Southern Interior Medical Association and was a 10-year member of the British Columbia Medical Association Board of Directors. He also served as president in 1970.
Dr. Anderson retired from practice in 1980.
In 2012, the Dr. Walter Anderson Building opened as part of the Interior Heart and Surgical Centre Project at Kelowna General Hospital.