George Howard Dunn April 4th, 1955
George Dunn was honoured with the Freedom of the City April 4th, 1955 in recognition of his 50 years of devoted service as Kelowna’s City Clerk.
Mr. Dunn began his career in banking in Rossland in 1901; he then worked in Japan for two years before coming to Kelowna in 1908. He became the City’s second City Clerk in June of 1908. The City’s offices then consisted of one room in the A.S. Cox building, located near the present Paramount Block. In 1909 the City offices were moved to two rooms in the Keller Block, where they remained until the present City Hall was constructed on Water Street in 1949.
In 1909 George Dunn married Kathleen Gorman and they had two children. One of the first amateur radio operators in Canada, George was involved in the formation of the Kelowna Radio Association in 1928. He was also instrumental in obtaining a Coat-of-Arms for the City in 1954.
Well respected for his knowledge of civic affairs and administration, he was elected a Life Member of both the Municipal Officers’ Association of B.C. and the Okanagan Valley Municipal Association in 1949, in recognition of his long service and valuable contribution to the municipal affairs of the province, and particularly the Okanagan Valley. He served the City until his retirement in December, 1958.