Brigadier H.H. (Harry) Angle, DSO January 7th, 1946
Brigadier Angle, DSO, MID, ED, was born in England and moved to Kelowna at age 16. He and his brother Syd ran the Bear Creek Ranch for several years. In 1929, at age 23, he and his new wife Margaret established a farm in Okanagan Mission. In 1932 he joined the Okanagan Mounted Rifles Militia, the forerunner to the British Columbia Dragoons, beginning a distinguished military career.
As Lieutenant Colonel he commanded the British Columbia Dragoons during WW II in Italy and on the European Continent, earning the DSO. Following the end of the Italian campaign, Brigadier Angle led his troops into battle in North-West Europe and into the final battle in the Delfzijl Pocket, liberating the Netherlands from German occupation. The British Columbia Dragoons moved to the Veendam area after this final battle and were instrumental in repatriation of the German prisoners and the establishment of municipal affairs in the area, thus establishing a bond between Kelowna and Veendam that is celebrated today.
The regiment returned to Kelowna in 1946 and LCol. Angle was honoured with the "Freedom of the City" award; he was the first recipient of this award in recognition of the honour he brought to Kelowna through his stellar service career. In 1947 he served as stipendiary magistrate for Kelowna, but was called upon the following year to serve on the United Nations committee as a military observer in Pakistan. Brigadier Angle returned to Okanagan Mission, however was sent to India in 1949 acting as Chief Military Adviser to a United Nations mission dealing with a border dispute between India and Pakistan. Tragically he was killed in an airplane crash in India in July, 1950.
The Brigadier H.H. Angle Walkway in City Park was dedicated August 24, 2005 with a ceremony that included the raising of the United Nations flag. A marker and bronze plaque acknowledge Brigadier Angle's service to his community and the world.
The Brigadier Angle Armoury at 720 Lawrence Avenue in Kelowna is also named in his honour.