New Downtown Parkades
Great cities have great downtowns and Kelowna's city centre continues to experience significant investments.
The City undertook a successful Alternative Approval Process for a borrowing bylaw of approximately $15 million. Funds will be used for the expansion of the library parkade and the construction of a new parkade on the Memorial Arena property to replace some of the stalls lost on surface lots to development sites, to accommodate the new developments and provide more weekend and evening parking.
Library Parkade Expansion
The expansion of the Library Parkade is expected to create an additional 197 parking stalls for a total of 668.
Construction is underway, with completion expected in 2016. The parkade will stay open during construction for short term and monthly parking pass holders.
Ground level retail space included along Ellis Street is planned to create a more pedestrian friendly space.
Beginning in May 2015, vehicles will enter the Library Parkade via Ellis Street only and exit via Smith Lane to Doyle Avenue only. Traffic will be one-way in and one-way out. These traffic pattern changes are needed for site preparation work on the Okanagan Centre for Innovation site on the corner of Doyle and Ellis.
Construction on the new Memorial parkade started in Sept. 2015 on property south of the Memorial Arena and will be coordinated with construction of the Community Health and Services Centre. Completion is expected for Fall 2016.
The additional parking is being added to accommodate Interior Health's new Community Health and Services Centre at the corner of Doyle Avenue and Ellis Street. Bringing nearly 800 jobs into the downtown area will also stimulate business, transit and housing in the area.
The six-storey Memorial Parkade will include City office space in addition to 566 stalls.
- 139 Public parking
- 380 Interior Health staff parking (Mon-Fri 6am-6pm)
- 30 Interior Health 24/7 reserved
- 17 City of Kelowna fleet vehicle
The 139 public stalls will replace those lost with the closure of the existing surface lot. In addition, the 380 Interior Health stalls will be available to the public on evenings and weekends.
Surface Parking Changes in the Area
As surface parking lots on Doyle Avenue and on the Memorial Arena property close for construction, there will be changes to short term parking, monthly parking pass holders and the Library Parkade to accommodate construction.
Construction in the area will be phased as much as possible to minimize disruption.
- During the Library Parkade expansion some stalls may be temporarily closed but the parkade will remain open.
- The Memorial Parking lot on Ellis Street is closed permanently to make way for construction on the new Memorial Parkade.
- Surface parking lots on Doyle between Ellis and St. Paul are closed permanently due to construction on the new Community Health and Services Centre building.
- The small lot in front of the Kelowna Museum will remain open throughout construction and will offer hourly parking only, no monthly permits or daily parking will be available.
Check out more information for monthly parking pass holders or on the downtown parking page.
For updates about the project delivered right to your inbox, you can also sign up for the City's e-Subscribe service.
For more information, contact: