City Hall Home Residents Home Business Home Visitors Home Search Home
 > Home Page > Business > Property Development > Development Applications > Subdivision > Building Stratification Process

Building Stratification Process                                                

Stratification of a building can take many months to get from the application to a building that is up to the BC Building Code.  If you are new to stratifying we strongly suggest that you hire an agent to work with you on your proposal.  You may choose a BC Land Surveyor, an engineer, or a development consultant.

What Is A Stratified Building?

Two or more Single Family Dwellings with a single lot being common property.  The lot must be zoned RU6 or any of the RM zonings. 


Types of Stratifications

Duplex (must be zoned RU6)
Multi-family dwelling (must be zoned RM)


The time it takes to process and make a decision on your stratification proposal can vary, depending on the number of applications in the system, the scale and complexity of your project, and how thoroughly you prepare your application. Components include time for review of the application, investigation and development.

Fees and Costs

The City of Kelowna charges the application fee of $1000.00 plus $100.00 per unit for buildings with 5 units or more.  Other agencies may also charge fees related to your application.  For example, you may incur costs from outside agencies such as FortisBC, your water provider or an electrical inspection done by a certified electrician.


The Approving Officer will request an inspection of the buildings by the City of Kelowna  plumbing and building inspectors and then provide detailed letter to you explaining your requirements and notify you of any upgrades that are required to bring your building up to the BC Building Code.


You may also need to apply for a plumbing permit and/or building permit to complete any recommended upgrades.  All building permits must be complete in order for the City of Kelowna to approve the stratification.


You will require an electrical contractor authorization which will be given to you after the electrician has inspected the premise to ensure it is in accordance with the provisions of the Electrical Safety Regulations.


Finally you are responsible for all costs related to the stratification and development of the property. For example:

  • road and drainage works
  • utilities
  • survey
  • covenants and other legal documents
  • environmental habitat restoration
  • site grading and retaining

For more information

Information regarding your ability to stratify a property can be obtained from the Development Services counter located on the 2nd Floor of City Hall. Inquiries can also be made by telephone at 250 469-8622. When making enquiries, you should provide both the civic address and legal description so the specific property can be properly identified and all the relevant information determined.

A number of City documents will influence whether or not your property can be stratified. Some of these include the Official Community Plan and Area Plans, Zoning and Development Bylaws. All of these documents are available for review at the Development Services Counter in City Hall.  Staff members familiar with these documents and the stratification process are available to assist you and answer your questions.

If a previously occupied building is to be subdivided into more than two strata lots, the Municipal Council is the “approving authority”. Section 242 of the Strata Property Act provides the criteria that Council must take into consideration when assessing applications.

Contact Us

Heather Benmore 
250 469-8622

Printer-friendly Contact Us     Site Map     Plug-ins     Site Disclaimer     Privacy Policy