City Hall Home Residents Home Business Home Visitors Home Search Home
 > Home Page > Business > Property Development > Development Applications > Secondary Suites

Secondary Suites, Carriage House, and Two Dwelling Housing

Information about the process can be found below:

Secondary Suite

A secondary suite is a dwelling unit contained within a single family house, that has a kitchen, bathroom, living area and its own off-street parking stall.
Recent changes to the process now does not require property owners of a suite to have a business license.  Secondary suites are now allowed in most residential zones without needing to rezone the property including Quail Ridge, Tower Ranch, Kettle Valley, the City’s hillside zones and bareland stratas.  It should be noted that Bareland strata’s have the ability to restrict suites within their own bylaws should they so choose.

Suites are still prohibited in the Gallagher’s Canyon neighbourhood and the adjacent Eastwood subdivision.

A secondary suite must have an occupancy permit issued by the City to have legal status.

Additional Information & Applications:

Carriage House & Two Dwelling Housing

A carriage house is an additional detached dwelling unit that is limited in size and height. See bulletin for more information on detailed carriage house regulations.

 Carriage House        

Two Dwelling Housing is a property that contains two principal dwelling units.

The difference between a second dwelling and a carriage house is the size of the regulated floor area, siting, required development regulations and Development Cost Charges (DCCs).  For a carriage house, the floor area and the height of the building are limited. In comparison, site coverage and the building set backs are often the limiting regulations for a second principal dwelling. Two dwelling housing is permitted to be strata-titled; however, a carriage house is not.

To be eligible for a carriage house, a property must be zoned RU6  or have a "c" designation. For a second dwelling, a property must be zoned RU6 and have sufficient minimum lot area.  Examples of second dwellings include a duplex, semi detached or two single detached houses. 

To find the current zoning of your property, refer to the online mapping system.  

Additional Information & Applications:

Contact Us

The Community Planning team is available to assist with pre-application questions. To contact a Planner, please phone 250-469-8626 or email us at

Development Services staff is available to assist with building permit inquiries. To make an appointment with a plan checker, please phone 250-469-8960.

Printer-friendly Contact Us     Site Map     Plug-ins     Site Disclaimer     Privacy Policy