The City of Kelowna offers 85 parks, or 76% (702 ha) of the city's total green space, where dogs are permitted either on or off leash. In parks that permit dogs on leash, we request that dogs be kept on the sidewalk or trails. Owners must be in control of their dogs at all times, and owners are expected to clean up after their pets immediately. There are nine parks in Kelowna where dogs are allowed off-leash.
Dogs are also allowed in another nine provincial or regional parks in Kelowna (709 ha). There is more than 1,400 ha of public green space that allow dogs.
Please see the Park Map Viewer and the Dog Park Brochure for the most up-to-date list of on and off leash dog parks.
The water service at off-leash dog parks is shut off from mid-October to early April (weather permitting). This is to prevent the pipes from freezing over the winter months.
Let’s Work Together
You remember the lead, remember the bag!
Please remember that you are responsible for picking up after your dog. This includes bringing your own bags to dispose of your dog’s waste. You can always leave extra bags for other dog park users in the "Take a Bag, Leave a Bag" dispensers. This will help encourage everyone to pick up after their dog.
Signage, brochures, plastic bag dispensers and garbage bins must all be financed – we’re grateful for anything you may be able to contribute. Contact Parks at 250-469-8503 or by e-mail at email@example.com if you’d like to make a contribution or have any questions about the dog parks.
Kelowna Dog Association- A group of citizens working to make Kelowna a better place for dogs and their families.
Rules and Responsibilities for dog and owners in city parks
- Owners/handlers must clean up after their dogs
- Leashes must not be longer than two m (six ft.).
- Handlers must have possession of the dog leash at all times.
- Maximum of two dogs per handler.
- Handlers are responsible for any injuries caused by the dog(s) under their control.
- Handlers must ensure their dogs don’t bother other park users.
- Dogs on leash must stay at least 10 m. (30 ft.) away from playgrounds.
Off-leash dog park specific:
- Owners/handlers must clean up after their dogs.
- Users of the facility do so at their own risk. The City shall not be liable for any injury or damage caused by any dog in the off-leash area.
- The off-leash dog area is for dogs, their handlers and those accompanying them. No other use is allowed.
- Dogs must be under control of their handler and in view of their handler at all times.
- Dogs must be removed from the off-leash dog area at the first sign of aggression.
- All dogs must be legally licensed and shall wear a visible dog license.
- All dogs should be currently vaccinated.
- No animals other than dogs shall be permitted in the area.
- No dogs under 4 months of age.
- No female dogs in heat.
- Handlers must be 15 years of age or older.
- Children age 14 and under must be accompanied by an adult in the off-leash dog area.
- Dogs must be on a leash when entering and exiting the off-leash dog area.
A maximum fine of $500 can be levied against any person not complying with these responsibilities. Call Dog Control at 250-469-6284 or Bylaw Enforcement at 250-469-8686 to report infractions (it’s helpful to provide a vehicle license plate number).
Regional District of Central Okanagan (RDCO) - RDCO Bylaws can be found here.
Parks Info Line