Click here to view a copy of Bylaw 9590 Purchasing Policy.
Apart from the overall authority granted to the City Manager, only the following officials are authorized to call bids:
- The City's Manager, Purchasing & Stores may call bids for the purchase of construction, consulting services, equipment, material, supplies and services for use in City operations;
- The Manager Purchasing & Stores from time to time may delegate others such as The Director of Design and Construction Services to call bids for City engineering works and services;
- The Manager, Real Estate & Building Services may purchase land.
b. Bid Limits
Approximate dollar limits establish the methods employed to purchase equipment, material, supplies and services:
- Quotations are obtained (value of up to $75,000) by the Purchasing Branch or designate from internal price records or from known suppliers by telephone or in writing, depending on the value and complexity of the purchase. Written quotations or proposals are received and opened in the Purchasing Office.
- Tenders or Requests for Proposal (above $75,000): will be advertised by the Purchasing Branch. This advertising will include some or all of the following; local, provincial or national newspapers, the City web page at www.kelowna.ca, BC Bid (www.bcbid.gov.bc.ca) and the CivicInfo webpage (www.civicinfo.bc.ca). In addition, a copy of the advertisement is posted on the public notice board in the City Hall and known suppliers may be contacted directly. Tenders are received and opened/registered in public in the City Clerk's office. Requests for Proposals are not opened publicly.
- The above bid structure and limits also apply to situations where Purchasing Services is not involved and City departments have conduct of the purchasing process (e.g. Design and Construction and Infrastructure Planning).
Questions or comments? Contact the City of Kelowna Purchasing Department at email@example.com or phone 250-469-8530.