Frequently Asked Questions
How soon before my flight departs should I be at the airport?
- If you are travelling within Canada, you should be at the airport no later than 90 minutes prior to departure. If you are travelling to the United States or Mexico, you should be at the airport at least 2 hours before departure.
How do I get around your airport if I am physically challenged?
- The Kelowna International Airport is committed to helping passengers who face everyday challenges by removing barriers and offering additional services. Click for more information and a list of services available at YLW. Should you encounter a facility or attitudinal barriers when using our airport, please call the Airport Duty Manager at 250-807-4400.
- If special assistance is required, advise your airline upon checking in.
Can I reserve a parking spot for my vehicle?
- There is no reservation system for parking; however, with over 2,400 parking stalls you shouldn't have any concerns for parking during the regular season. YLW has a Gold Pass program for the lot directly in front of the terminal. See parking information page regarding the Gold Pass program and parking fees.
Do you have shuttle service from the long-term lot to the terminal building?
- Yes. Look for the well marked Toyota hybrid with the orange flags. Usually it is parked near the entrance to the lot or at the South entrance of the terminal building. Give the driver a wave and the driver will follow you to your parking spot to give you a free lift to the terminal. Shuttle service may not always be available in the overflow lots.
Can I bring wrapped gifts in my carry-on – what about some of Grandma’s baking?
- It is suggested if you must wrap the gifts prior to your trip to put them in your checked luggage and unwrapped gifts can go in carry-on. Baked goods are allowed as carry-on. To search whether or not other items are allowed, refer to the Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) list of acceptable items.
I am not sure what I can or can’t have in my carry on or checked luggage.
- CATSA has a handy site to help with your packing questions. Use the Pack Smart tool as you prepare for your trip.
I have questions about the screening process.
My flight is delayed or cancelled because of weather – who do I call?
- Passengers are asked to contact their air carrier reservations to confirm the arrival and departure of their flight:
- Passengers are advised to check the status of their flight on their airline's website or, for real time information, see Arrivals & Departures. If the flight has been cancelled do not come to the airport but instead rebook from home. If the flight is delayed but scheduled to operate, check the status of the flight and leave plenty of time to check in.
I am here but my luggage didn’t make it. What do I do now?
- Please contact your airline directly for questions regarding lost luggage:
Airline Baggage Claim Contact information:
How can I get a job at the airport?
- The Kelowna International Airport is operated by the City of Kelowna. To inquire about positions with the City of Kelowna including the airport, visit kelowna.ca and click on the careers link. To apply for positions at the Kelowna International Airport with the airlines or concessionaires, contact them directly at their terminal building location for more information.
Does Kelowna International Airport have a departure tax?
- There is an $15 Airport Improvement Fee at the Kelowna International Airport for each departing (non-connecting) passenger. This fee is collected by the airlines on behalf of Kelowna International Airport when your ticket is purchased. For further details concerning this fee, contact the Airport Administration office at 250-807-4300.
Is there a fee for the use of the baggage carts?
- Baggage carts are available free of charge in the arrivals area and are located in the terminal, on the front curb at the departures entrance as well as key spots in the parking lots.
More questions? Call the Airport Administration Office at 250-807-4300.